Registering a snap named for a system call, conventions on snap name namespace

Hi, I have been exploring packaging as snaps, and want to publish a small utility that I made years ago that is a CLI utility to use the mincore system call. But I wonder about consequence of the snap name namespace. Clearly I shouldn’t register a name that has a trademark holder or even just an existing well known use. There are no snaps that come up when searching for mincore, though there are similar implementations found on github.

I guess I’m asking if there’s some convention for snap names that could conceivably be considered generic unix terms, or is it the case that unregistered names are fair game?

I would suggest trying to register your snap name as you have envisioned. If it’s taken, reserved or too short, it will go to our review queue and we can assess there. I don’t think there’s any reason not to grant the mincore snap name to you :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback. I successfully published, but then realized I hadn’t properly accounted for file access.

I’m doing some homework, and made it private in the meantime to avoid frustrating that might try it.