Question about default tracks

Hi,

I’m using tracks for one of my snap-packages, and I was thinking to use the newest track (major versioning) as the default channel, and that those who want’s to be on a rolling release have to switch to latest channel.

However, what happens if someone installs the snap with sudo snap install <snap name> and the default track is e.g v12.Will they stay on the v12 channel until they manually choose to switch, even though there’s a new default channel for it (e.g) v13 set for the package? Or will they automatically be pushed over to the the new channel, when I choose it as the default channel for the snap?

1 Like

Same question here. Can anyone provide some clarity?

1 Like

Sure.

The default track applies at install time only, so if the default track later changes, people who installed earlier will not be magically switched to the new track (which makes sense because then, why use a default track? just put everyone on latest if you want them to follow the new releases).

• Daniel

Hi,

Perfect. This was how I hoped it would work, as I don’t want people to be on the latest track by default. I want to set the current release as default , then update it per release cycle - but users should upgrade manually. Thank you so much for answering Daniel!

Have a nice day :slight_smile: