Ported Ubunutu Core to Asus TinkerBoard S

Hey Guys.

I try to get running ubuntu core on Tinkerboard rk3288 Chip arm/armhf architecture

I have cloned @ogra github for the nano-pi: https://github.com/ogra1/nanopi-air-gadget

And modify some stuff, but it won’t boot nether from SD also from emmc

https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Hardware

Here is my gadget yaml

device-tree: rk3288-tinker.dtb
device-tree-origin: kernel
volumes:
tinkerboard:
bootloader: u-boot
schema: mbr
structure:
- name: system-boot
type: 0C
filesystem: vfat
offset: 4194304
filesystem-label: system-boot
size: 128M
content:
- source: bootcopy/
target: /
- name: u-boot
type: bare
size: 4012440
content:
- image: u-boot.bin

and my snapcraft.yaml

name: rk3288
version: 16-0.1
summary: ASUS TinkerBoard
description: |
Bootloader files and partitoning data to create a
bootable Ubuntu Core image for the ASUS TinkerBoard.
type: gadget
confinement: strict
grade: stable
parts:
uboot:
plugin: nil
source: git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git
source-branch: v2018.05
override-build: |
set -e
git apply …/…/…/uboot.patch
make tinker-rk3288_defconfig
make
cp spl/u-boot-spl-dtb.bin $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/
cp arch/arm/dts/rk3288-tinker.dtb $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/
tools/mkenvimage -r -s 65536 -o $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/uboot.env …/…/…/uboot.env.in
ln -s uboot.env $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/uboot.conf
cp u-boot $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/
build-packages:
- bc
- bison
- build-essential
- device-tree-compiler
- flex
- html2text
- libpython2.7-dev
- python-minimal
- swig
- wget
copyboot:
source: bootcopy
set -e
mkdir $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/bootcopy
cp -r * $SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/bootcopy
initrd-snippet:
source: .
set -e
cd initrd && find . | cpio --quiet -o -H newc| lzma >>$SNAPCRAFT_PART_INSTALL/initrd-extra.img
build-packages:
- ttf-ubuntu-font-family
- cpio
- findutils
- xz-utils

maybe i miss some files?

Content of bootcopy

hw_intf.conf
rk3288-tinker.dtb
u-boot-spl-dtb.bin
u-boot
u-boot.env => u-boot.conf /Symlink
zImage
extlinux => extlinux.conf

content of extlinux.conf

label ASUS Tinker Board Ubuntut Core
kernel /zImage
fdt /rk3288-tinker.dtb
append earlyprintk console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw init=/sbin/init

maybe somefiles are missing and or needs copy to other folder.

Greets

Funnily i just got my hands on a tinkerboard S yesterday and quickly made a gadget:

you can build it using snapcraft --target-arch=armhf on an x86 host… it uses the denx upstream u-boot which means you need to use the serial port on GPIO pins 32/33

i sadly dont have a fully working kernel yet (i was hoping i could just re-use my linux-generic-allwinner snap but that seems to have issues supporting framebuffer and MMC/SD-card)

Hey @ogra thanks for this, will build and try, maybe my kernel is working for that…

There is an image now (with a custom 4,15 kernel) at:

http://people.canonical.com/~ogra/snappy/tinkerboard/

feel free to play with it … the kernel uses the multi_v7_defconfig … all bits used to assemble the image are in the above dir.

Hey @ogra,

you are my hero of the day :slight_smile:

It works, I play now around and add the GPIO’s to the gadget.
I will also test with the EMMC stuff

Thx

Hey @ogra, can you push the tinkerboard kernel snap into your allwinner branch?

it looks that the gpio are not loaded correctly and the SPI interfaces also not.

I can see on the Core image:

gpiochip0
gpiochip1
gpiochip2
gpiochip3
gpiochip4
gpiochip5
gpiochip6
gpiochip7
gpiochip8
i2c-0
i2c-2
i2c-5

but in /sys/class/ the directory gpio doesn’t exist, to export the gpio’s

May you can help?

The Working TinkerBoard wiringPi library is here based:

I did some more patch work to fix wireless as well as the hang on reboot (not sure if you noticed that yet) and since it isnt really allwinner centric i have created a new branch (and name) at:

i’ll update the image and the rest of the files on the http://people.canonical.com/~ogra/snappy/tinkerboard/ account tomorrow …

Hey @ogra, thx, I just build the kernel and works so far, I see i2c devices and SPI devices but the gpio pins current not, wifi is working with network-manager

Greets

well, i have been looking into gpio but cant really find whats missing yet, so that might still take a while (i’m traveling a lot this and next week, that limits my hacking time a bit) … but feel free to send PRs if you find the magic bullet :slight_smile:

I will check, i have found some differences during compare the TinkerBoard Debian kernel and the ubuntu kernel

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/ubuntu-bionic.git/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-tinker.dts

I will check how I can set the diffs into the place from miniarm into the tinker also i have found some diffs in the gpio stuff

@ogra, I have found out that we miss the gpio library i guess, I have installed on the core an classic snap and compiled the TinkerBoard WiringPi lib and it works but not in normal mode, I guess we need to inlcude this files into the kernel stuff also.

the folder gpio is missing, also the /sys/class/gpio folder is missing.

in: /sys/devices/platform/pinctrl looks so:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 20 15:21 gpiochip0
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 20 15:21 gpiochip1
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 20 15:21 gpiochip2
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 20 15:21 gpiochip3
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 20 15:21 gpiochip4
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 20 15:21 gpiochip5
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 20 15:21 gpiochip6
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 20 15:21 gpiochip7
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 Feb 20 15:21 gpiochip8

on my armbian image looks so in /sys/class/gpio

–w------- 1 root root 4096 Feb 19 16:17 export
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 19 16:17 gpio146 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpiochip4/gpio/gpio146
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 19 16:17 gpio149 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpiochip4/gpio/gpio149
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 19 16:17 gpio151 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpiochip4/gpio/gpio151
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jan 18 2013 gpiochip0 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpio/gpiochip0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jan 18 2013 gpiochip120 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpio/gpiochip120
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jan 18 2013 gpiochip152 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpio/gpiochip152
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jan 18 2013 gpiochip184 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpio/gpiochip184
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jan 18 2013 gpiochip216 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpio/gpiochip216
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jan 18 2013 gpiochip24 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpio/gpiochip24
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jan 18 2013 gpiochip248 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpio/gpiochip248
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jan 18 2013 gpiochip56 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpio/gpiochip56
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jan 18 2013 gpiochip88 -> …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpio/gpiochip88
–w------- 1 root root 4096 Jan 18 2013 unexport

in …/…/devices/platform/pinctrl/gpiochip4/ as example looks on core so:

-r–r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Feb 20 15:22 dev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 20 15:22 of_node -> …/…/…/…/firmware/devicetree/base/pinctrl/gpio4@ff7b0000
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Feb 20 15:22 power
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Feb 20 15:22 subsystem -> …/…/…/…/bus/gpio
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 4096 Feb 20 15:22 uevent

gpio folder is missing.

Greets Tony

@ogra, i have found, the trick is to add in the multi_v7_defconfig follow:

CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS=Y

because this line doesn’t exist in this file.

Now I have the gpio folder in /sys/class

And I can modify the gadget and will more testing now

i have added that change to my branch now

thx, I try to use the correct way of the slots, it seems that the device hangs sometimes on boot during the gadget.

Hey @ogra,

I have found here maybe some interesting patches for the tinkerboard can we use this maybe in the kernel and u-boot stuff?

https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/rockchip-4.4/patch

Greets Tony

hey, sorry fort the late reply but i was traveling for a week, i’ll take a look, note that the above is all 4.4 stuff and might have landed in 4.15 (which i used for that port) so thats a bit of time consuming work going over all of them …

if you have anything pressing feel free to create PRs in my github branches though …