Please remove defunct snap store listing

https://snapcraft.io/podman looks as if that snap was existing – in reality, it doesn’t (and, technologically, can’t; podman needs privileges that snapd for the foreseeable future can’t expose to snaps; this is like asking for a snapd snap) exist.

It cannot be found through the snapcraft search.

Since search engines still index it, people are misinterpreting this to believe podman is snap-packaged.

(I mean, like asking for a snapd snap, which actually uses a completely different approach to cgroups, volumes, user ID mapping, …)

There’s something strange with my system - others report the podman snap does exist and can be installed. If I’m totally in the wrong, please ignore for the time being.

that snap has only been published to the edge channel … snaps published only in the edge channel (but not in any others) are usually not shown in snap find ... searches because they are considered “in development … not ready for production” …

while snap find podman will tell you there is no such snap due to the above, a snap info podman should still show you the relevant info … and you indeed should be able to snap install --edge podman in case you want to test the in-development snap …

Hi @ogra, thanks for the feedback. Well, “in-development” might be a bit of a stretch for something not having seen in close to three years, and was never released property to begin with.

Do you have any further insight if snapd ever undertook any efforts to support podman? It’s not your usual userland program.

Well, that’s not the job of “snapd” … like it is not the job of apt, rpm, dnf or dpkg to make sure certain apps exists in their repos … it is a matter of someone packing it.

snapd is just a tool for managing snap packages …

but since podman is not much different to docker, lxd, kubernetes, you name it … and since all these are available as snaps as well, i don’t see why podman should not also be possible to be packaged by someone …