OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 PPC64 - No provider of 'snapd' found

Following instructions found here: installing-snap-on-opensuse. Here is a copy of the console messages:

Adding repository ‘snappy’ …[done]
Repository ‘snappy’ successfully added

URI : download.opensuse.org/repositories/system:/snappy/openSUSE_Leap_15.2
Enabled : Yes
GPG Check : Yes
Autorefresh : Yes
Priority : 99 (default priority)

Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.
opensuse: /home/pete # sudo zypper --gpg-auto-import-keys refresh
Retrieving repository ‘Text editors and hex editors for Linux (openSUSE_Leap_15.2)’ metadata …[done]
Building repository ‘Text editors and hex editors for Linux (openSUSE_Leap_15.2)’ cache …[done]
Repository ‘openSUSE-Leap-15.2-1’ is up to date.
Repository ‘Main Repository’ is up to date.
Retrieving repository ‘Main Update Repository’ metadata …[done]
Building repository ‘Main Update Repository’ cache …[done]
Retrieving repository ‘snappy’ metadata ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[|]

Automatically importing the following key:

Repository: snappy
Key Name: system:snappy OBS Project system:snappy@build.opensuse.org
Key Fingerprint: 4F2FA05B 2C6589C3 FD12055E F7C6E425 ED340235
Key Created: Sat Oct 31 11:59:39 2020
Key Expires: Mon Jan 9 10:59:39 2023
Rpm Name: gpg-pubkey-ed340235-5f9d97fb

Retrieving repository ‘snappy’ metadata …[done]
Building repository ‘snappy’ cache …[done]
Repository ‘weewx’ is up to date.
All repositories have been refreshed.
opensuse:/home/pete # sudo zypper dup --from snappy
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
Computing distribution upgrade…
Nothing to do.
opensuse:/home/pete # sudo zypper install snapd
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
‘snapd’ not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
No provider of ‘snapd’ found.
Resolving package dependencies…
Nothing to do.

opensuse: /home/pete # sudo snap install certbot --classic
output written to snap.tar.gz
WARNING: archive may contain confidential data and/or cleartext passwords!

You’ll notice the last command using snap resulted in “output written to snap.tar.gz” which indicates that IBM’s snap command was used. I can rename the IBM snap binary but I cannot understand why the snapd install fails with “No provider of ‘snapd’ found.” Is it the PPC64 architecture, or something else?

NOTE: I had to mangle a few of the URI references because they were seen as links and as a new user I can only have two links (although the references were just the ones in the documentation)

Thanks for reporting this. We haven’t enabled ppc64el builds, I think this was just an ommission and wasn’t related to any particular problem. I’ll should be updating the package to 2.50 soon and will try to enable ppc64el in the same go.

Hm I’ve landed an update to 2.50, and also enabled ppc64le as an architecture for Tumbleweed and Leap 15.2. However, I probably need to investigate this a bit more, as the builds for ppc are failing.

Looks like I got it now. I’ve updated the build setup to pull in repositories from ports among those ppc64le. Can you try to install snapd again?

Install went smoothly…still need to deal with the conflict of IBM snap and snapd but I can sort that out. Thanks very much.

1 Like

I’d be keen to know what snaps you have which work well on PPC64. Obviously they all should work, but I certainly have never tested anything on PPC64! :smiley:

I’ll be happy to share as I go along. I tripped across snap on another distro and it came back to mind when I ran into some issues with Certbot. That is what led to the install. So, not exactly sure what additional snaps I may need but I’ll try to remember to post back. Of course, if I DO run into an issue, you will hear from me…

1 Like