New tracks (2 and 3) for ngrok

Hi there. I manage the snap for ngrok (and work there). We’re releasing a new v3 and need a track for that release, latest doesn’t allow us to provide a good backwards compatibility story for our users. Ideally, we’d like the current latest to be renamed 2 or v2 and to create a new default track for 3/v3.

Our v2 release is long lived (years and years), and we expect the same for v3 with minor version bumps along the way.

Suggestions on better approaches are appreciated.

Hello,

Ngrok has no existing tracks, so per Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks , we need a 1-week voting/discussion period, so I’ll check back on the discussion and votes in a few days.

I have a few questions before casting my vote.

1. What’s ngrok’s release cadence, how often is a new version (potentially requiring a new track) released? is this documented somewhere by upstream?
  2. Is there some commitment from upstream on maintenance of old versions? e.g. is “2” still supported with security updates? will it continue to be supported once “3” is out?
  3. Are new versions backwards-incompatible? meaning, if I was running 2 and try to install 3, will that just work, or do I need to migrate my data/configuration, or will things break horribly?

Thanks!

• Daniel

Thanks Daniel!

1. Mentioned above, we do a major version every few years. I don’t expect a new release for probably 2 years.
  2. “2” will be supported for several years, possibly forever. We have some guarantees listed here: https://ngrok.com/docs#compat-promise
  3. There’s a rather annoying set of config file changes for 2->3 detailed in our docs (https://ngrok.com/docs/guides/upgrade-v2-v3). Automatically upgrading folks causes some issues.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Thanks, I’m +1 to granting these tracks, we’ll give fellow reviewers a few days to chime in.

• Daniel

Hi, could @reviewers please look at this request and vote? Thanks!

• Daniel

+1 from me on these tracks. This has no bearing on my approval, but just so we know for sure what tracks you want, can you clarify if you’d prefer 2 and 3 or v2 and v3? In my projects I tend to use the former, if you find it helpful, but it’s completely up to you.

1 Like

I think v2 and v3 make sense. I was just trying to be flexible in case snap had preferred conventions. Thanks!

Thanks! v2 and v3 have been created.

• Daniel