My display name in the store hasn't updated to match configured display name

My details are correct in both step 0 and 1, I didn’t do the rest of steps 'cos they’re correct in the places you thought they’d be showing wrongly. Do you still want me to try the other three steps (2, 3, and 4)?

Interestingly it looks like the store command line is showing the correct name (both uninstalled and after installation). I’m guessing it’s just the web that’s wonky? It can’t be caching because surely you haven’t got a 6 month cache lifetime on the backend, right?

Oh, NOW the web is showing the right name… Something really wonky must be happening here. Maybe navigating to https://dashboard.snapcraft.io/dev/account shifted something? I mean I can appreciate that cache delayed that update appearing from when I navigated to /dev/account, so maybe that was the golden ticket…

alright, wat?

pretty much all my other snaps are wrong again…

Appending ?foo to one of them appears to fix my name so I’m guessing once cache clears through it’ll fix itself? The question is why are these constantly reverting to my previous name?

I checked using the API to rule out frontend/web caching issues. The incorrect data is here:

curl "https://api.snapcraft.io/v2/snaps/info/cuda-runtime-11-2-1804" -H "Snap-Device-Series: 16" -H "Snap-Device-Architecture: amd64" | jq .

Let me poke at the backend service a bit, see what I can find.

• Daniel
1 Like

Thank you for plugging away at this for so long, Daniel :slight_smile: it’s really appreciated that you’re trying hard to help me get this sorted <3

Hi, I found some instances of the previous name in places where I wasn’t expecting them.

I manually adjusted everything to be consistent by poking at some databases, which could be dangerous or have left things in a weird state.

Please let me know if anything behaves strangely, if you have any problems registering or publishing snaps, or if anything reverts to the previous name.

Keep in mind that old snap revisions will probably contain the outdated name and there’s not a lot we can do about it, but I expect that recent, released revisions and the general metadata both at the snap level and for your account, shouldn’t change at all. I really didn’t spot any places with the outdated name, so there’s nowhere for it to propagate from anymore. I hope. But if it does, we’ll be here to take care of it.

Cheers,

• Daniel
1 Like

For example, the API now says the right thing:

$ curl "https://api.snapcraft.io/v2/snaps/info/cuda-runtime-11-2-1804" -H "Snap-Device-Series: 16" -H "Snap-Device-Architecture: amd64" | jq .snap.publisher
{
  "display-name": "Dani Llewelyn",
  "id": "oew2TZOpQF0lGd3JKNZydA2BCn1Z66FO",
  "username": "diddledani",
  "validation": "starred"
}
  • Daniel
1 Like

Thank you so much :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

Hi, today I spotted another instance of “reverted” name. I proactively corrected the data - it might be related to a data migration/update we did last week, but it’s otherwise puzzling that the outdated name keeps appearing, as from my point of view all existing instances had been updated a few weeks ago.

If you can check that all your snaps display correctly, that’d be appreciated - and of course if you happen to see any data reversion, please do let me know ASAP.

• Daniel
1 Like

These are currently showing the wrong name on the snapcraft.io site, but appending a cache busting query parameter (e.g. ?cache=bust) shows the data is correct under the hood.

• supertuxkart
  • tvheadend
  • ubuntu-accomplishments
  • makemkv
  • marsshooter
  • micropolis
  • openttd
  • starruler2
  • audacity
  • cawbird
  • clouds
  • fakecam
  • gog-galaxy-wine

it’s reverted yet again! :angry: :sob:

argh, I see it.

Can you tell me whether you published new versions of any of your snaps?

I’ll start digging again - I definitely won’t just naively replace the value everywhere I see it until I understand where else it is set that I’m missing.

• Daniel

I don’t recall whether I’ve published any directly, myself, but it’s likely… There’s also the push-to-edge of the build service happening on the regular.

1 Like

Hi, Can you help me double-check some things?

If you go to https://dashboard.snapcraft.io/dev/account/, does it show the correct name and email address?

If it does, just let me know. If it doesn’t, can you please:

1. Log out of https://dashboard.snapcraft.io
  2. Log out of https://login.ubuntu.com
  3. Log into dashboard.snapcraft.io again (it’ll take you through login.ubuntu.com again).
  4. Check https://dashboard.snapcraft.io/dev/account/ and see if there was any change (i.e. does it now show the correct info).

To be clear, what I’m trying to test here is whether information from Ubuntu SSO correctly propagates to dashboard on login attempts. According to tests with my account, it should.

I’m fairly certain Ubuntu SSO is not the source of the outdated information. But I also couldn’t find it anywhere in Dashboard; so it must be coming from elsewhere. At this point I’m suspecting either some of the other services which talk to dashboard, or some of the existing authentication tokens.

• Daniel

Yes, everything looks correct there (although I’ve updated my paypal email adress via that page just this second because I closed my old paypal to change my name there - they don’t like changing people’s names so many people similar to me have just been outright banned, when they tried, instead)

I’m super puzzled by all this :frowning:

Can you please go to OpenID transaction in progress and share with me the snap account-id seen there?

I’m asking because you said :

which I take to mean the URL I mentioned above; but the data sources that power it on my side show the incorrect information - so just to cover all the bases I want to ensure we’re looking at the same account :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Also, I am looking at this as time permits, though some pesky national holidays have gotten in the way lately.

• Daniel

ok, it was correct when I looked previously (but I logged in anew that time because Ubuntu SSO asked me to - presumably my session was expired) but this time with an already active SSO session it shows the incorrect information as you suggest. The account id this time is oew2TZOpQF0lGd3JKNZydA2BCn1Z66FO.

Edit: doing the logout dance does fix what is shown again at https://dashboard.snapcraft.io/dev/account/ (the account id is still oew2TZOpQF0lGd3JKNZydA2BCn1Z66FO)

!!! The data was corrected! I surmise this happened during the login dance. I see this both in the database /internal admin panel and it was propagated to the API properly:

$ curl "https://api.snapcraft.io/v2/snaps/info/makemkv" -s -H "Snap-Device-Series: 16"  | jq '.snap.publisher."display-name"'
"Dani Llewellyn"

Do you have any way to trigger a rebuild of one of your snaps? ideally by not using Launchpad directly? I’m thinking something like pushing a trivial commit to one of your repos.

Please let me know!

• Daniel
1 Like

I’ve triggered a build (hopefully) for supertuxkart by pushing an empty commit to the default branch that should send a webhook to snapcraft.io.

I also have at least one saved credential that I can recall creating - specifically for building and releasing openra via github actions - If this build doesn’t cause any data issues then I’ll happily run a build in Github actions for openra to see if it’s saved credentials there that are the issue.

Although, IMO, if the credentials used to publish to the store via snapcraft tooling are causing the data to update then that is a mistake in coding of the store. I would posit that the ONLY time the data about a user is updated should be if they change it on the SSO backend, or change it directly via the store pages - simply using an API for unrelated purposes with an existing session or macaroon should not be used to update user details, unless those details are refreshed from non-user input - i.e. from the SSO backend directly, not whatever happens to be saved in their macaroon.

Sessions and macaroons should only be used for authorization and not for storing details about the user that are then used to fill the database without verifying that they are current/correct by querying the SSO backend.

EDIT: the build is completed.

EDIT 2: it looks like that did indeed screw up my name again!

Thanks! I can confirm the data is borked on my side as well.

There’s probably some historical reason behind this logic but I can’t fathom what it would be. I concur this behavior sounds erroneous. With more concrete info (thanks to you!) I’'ve filed a bug on our side.

Do you by chance have a link to the Launchpad build in question for supertuxcart?

Oh and also, if it wasn’t apparent, a workaround while we fix this is likely to be for you to regenerate any saved build credentials: disconnect any repos from which you’re building to nuke the old credentials, do the necessary dance so that dashboard.snapcraft.io shows the correct info, and then reconnect the repositories.

Thanks again for the help figuring this out and sorry it took so long :frowning:

• Daniel