Mount writable NTFS disk in Ubuntu Core

I have recently installed Ubuntu Core on a Raspberry Pi 3 using the official images provided by Canonical. I have a USB hard drive connected to the Raspberry Pi. This drive is formatted as NTFS. In order to mount the external drive in Ubuntu Core during the boot process I have created the file /etc/systemd/system/media-data.mount with the content below:

[Unit]
Description=Mount unit for data

[Mount]
What=/dev/disk/by-uuid/4E1AEA7B1AEA6007
Where=/media/data
Type=ntfs
Options=rw

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

I can see the data contained in the external drive, but can’t create new files or modify existing ones even with the root user. Is it possible that NTFS write support in not enabled by default in Ubuntu Core?

I have tried to mount the NTFS disk using:

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/disk/by-uuid/4E1AEA7B1AEA6007 /mnt

But this returns:

mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs-3g'

It seems that ntfs-3g is not installed and I don’t know how to install it without ‘apt install’. I have used Linux for a long time, but I’m new to snaps and ubuntu-core, so I’m trying to understand the best way to deal with problems like this. Any help would be useful.

I filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+bug/1698107

I think we should include it by default (but will try to gather some feedback on the bug before adding it)

Regarding your question … whatever the in-kernel ntfs support supports is enabled (which is obviously not containing write support (likely for good reasons))