Misc denials while running Spotify on Elementary

As a part of 2.32.5 testing phase I ran elementary and used Spotify. The application works fine out of the box but I noticed two things that were off, not sure if the two are related yet;

I saw the following denial:

Apr 17 08:20:08 elementary dbus[1164]: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_signal"  bus="session" path="/org/gtk/gio/DesktopAppInfo" interface="org.gtk.gio.DesktopAppInfo" member="Launched" mask="send" name="org.freedesktop.DBus" pid=2084 label="snap.spotify.spotify" peer_pid=2425 peer_label="unconfined"
Apr 17 08:20:08 elementary dbus[1164]: apparmor="DENIED" operation="dbus_signal"  bus="session" path="/org/gtk/gio/DesktopAppInfo" interface="org.gtk.gio.DesktopAppInfo" member="Launched" mask="send" name="org.freedesktop.DBus" pid=2084 label="snap.spotify.spotify" peer_pid=1555 peer_label="unconfined"

The second issue I found was that the notifications menu did not show Spotify icon, see the screenshot below for visual cues.

Interestingly the MPRIS-like sound menu shows album art just fine:

Elementary is a derivative of Ubuntu. The particular version was a derivative of Xenial, running 4.13.0-x kernel.

CC @jdstrand

EDIT: I updated the profile manually to include the following snippet but it had no effect on the missing icon:

dbus send
     bus=session
     path="/org/gtk/gio/DesktopAppInfo"
     interface="org.gtk.gio.DesktopAppInfo"
     member="Launched"
     peer=(label="unconfined"),

Spotify is also missing an icon when started from the command line on Unity 16/04. Looking at xprop it seems spotify does not set _NET_WM_ICON.

1 Like

Interesting insight John!

I ran xprop on the Spotify window and this his what came out:

_NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY(CARDINAL) = 791, 768, 0, 0
_BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE(STRING) = "/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/spotify_spotify.desktop"
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = 
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
		window state: Normal
		icon window: 0x0
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 0
_NET_WM_ICON(CARDINAL) = 
_NET_FRAME_EXTENTS(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 33, 0
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "spotify", "Spotify"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "Spotify"
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "Spotify"
_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS(ATOM) = _NET_WM_ACTION_MOVE, _NET_WM_ACTION_RESIZE, _NET_WM_ACTION_FULLSCREEN, _NET_WM_ACTION_MINIMIZE, _NET_WM_ACTION_SHADE, _NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_HORZ, _NET_WM_ACTION_MAXIMIZE_VERT, _NET_WM_ACTION_CHANGE_DESKTOP, _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE, _NET_WM_ACTION_ABOVE, _NET_WM_ACTION_BELOW
XdndProxy(WINDOW): window id # 0x2400002
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		program specified location: 0, 0
		window gravity: Static
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 14202
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "pl_PL.UTF-8"
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "elementary"
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, _NET_WM_PING

@popey can we get this feedback to Spotify somehow?

We should definitely add this to our policy, however, as you mentioned this likely will not solve the icon issue. I’ve seen other posts about the icon not being present. This is likely something the desktop team needs to comment on. @willcooke - can you assign someone to take a look?

I’ve added the above apparmor denial to the list of fixes in the next batch of policy updates.

1 Like

FYI this is committed to master and will be in 2.33.