Mir-kiosk:mir-libs Auto-Connection

mir-kiosk snap: https://dashboard.snapcraft.io/dev/snaps/6225/

We want to deprecate the use of mir-libs content snap as the provider of mir-libs content and consolidate it instead with mir-kiosk snap itself. This will be bit less confusing to users of mir-kiosk.

mir-libs content snap currently has Auto-connection enabled for its mir-libs slot. We would like mir-kiosk:mir-libs to have Auto-Connection enabled as mir-libs content snap has.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve not looked into this yet, but wanted to quickly say that the auto-connection for the old mir-libs snap happened before the critical thinking regarding auto-connection across publishers and discussed elsewhere (if unfamiliar with that thread, it is best summarized in this video). As such, we should be evaluating this as a new request.

Is there any update on this?

Sorry for the delay. Looking at your snap.yaml, you have this:

slots:
  mir-libs:
    content: mir0
    interface: content
    read:
    - usr/lib

It seems you may not have considered my previous comment and the new thinking around the content interface. In the snap’s current form, -1.

Assuming you built mir-kiosk on 16.04, if you update the snap to use this (modeled after the gnome-3-26-1604 snap):

slots:
  mir-libs-1604:
    content: mir0-1604
    read:
    - usr/lib

(or something similarly clear that it was built using 16.04 environment), then it would ok to grant auto-connection. Please see the links in my previous response if you have questions as to why this is required.

Sounds reasonable,

We’ll do that thanks!

Note to voters, as of today, the snap’s slot has not yet changed so please refrain from voting.

@AlbertA - what timeframe are you expecting this to be completed?

Hey, just noticed launchpad failed to upload to the store. It should be updated now.

Thanks!

Here is the snap yaml for the slot:

slots:
  mir-libs-1604:
    content: mir0-1604
    read:
    - usr/lib

+1 from me.

@niemeyer, can you review the above and vote/comment?

1 Like

Sounds good to me as well.

As a minor note, we’re improving the content interface so this may benefit from some changes in the near future. That said, we of course won’t break the way it currently behaves, so if you need the interface right away, that’s the way to go.

Again, +1, and thanks for addressing the versioning detail, @jdstrand.

2 votes for, 0 against. Granting the auto-connection. This is now live.