Metrics by channel broken?

I seem to not be able to see revisions by channel anymore on my metrics page (all other metrics work fine) …

The “tooltip” seems to show the correct information for data points. Is that the case?

If so, it looks like the problem is with the graph, not with the data - @jkfran can probably help poke at the graphing component in the web frontend.

If not, please do clarify what you expected to see so we can dig further :slight_smile:

• Daniel

well, you see the total number of installs right above the tool tip, i’m pretty sure there is more than one user on latest/stable :wink:

… and i’m not sure what the pink is supposed to represent …

I queried the API directly:

{
  "metrics": [
    {
      "buckets": [
        "2021-08-23"
      ],
      "metric_name": "weekly_installed_base_by_channel",
      "series": [
        {
          "name": "beta",
          "values": [
          ],
          "currently_released": true
        },
        {
          "name": "candidate",
          ],
        },
        {
          "name": "edge",
          ],
        },
        {
          "name": "latest/stable",
          ],
          "currently_released": false
        },
        {
          "name": "stable",
          ],
        }
      ],
      "snap_id": "76rrD7USwCJrZgepbRk7UdFEWON3tVKX",
      "status": "OK"
    }
  ]
}

The values seem consistent with the “weekly active devices” count in the page you showed, and you can see here that the breakdown by channel seems to be correct also.

I think something in the frontend is getting confused by the presence of both latest/stable and stable in the metrics payload.

I’ve filed an issue on the snapcraft.io project to get the frontend wizards to look at this.

• Daniel
1 Like

@roadmr , what is the reason we are getting “stable” and “latest/stable”? Looks like it is happening with all the snaps now.

Hi, the metrics show, verbatim, the channels reported by snapd clients. I mentioned in the github issue that latest/stable and stable should be merged, but then I thought that’s not the case, because if the snap is using a default track, then the two I mentioned are not necessarily equivalent. To reiterate, this is because some snapd clients are sending latest/stable in its refresh request, and others are sending stable - we just store and report that in the metrics as-is.

• Daniel