Manual Review Requested: hw-probe

human review required due to ‘allow-installation’ constraint (bool) declaration-snap-v2_plugs_installation (dot-local-share-xorg-logs, personal-files)

It is needed to analyze $HOME/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log for video card errors.

See Read Xorg.0.log from a strict snap.

Can anybody look at this and approve?

Thanks.

Removing this interface temporarily since publishing of new versions is blocked.

@jdstrand - do you think it would make sense to add something like:

owner @{HOME}/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log r,

to the existing log-observe interface? Although in this case, this log is user-specific so perhaps using log-observe is overkill for this use-case?

1 Like

I considered it in my last batch of policy updates and decided against it since log-observe is for system logs, not application logs. Granted, Xorg logs used to be stored in /var/log, but they’ve migrated to $HOME to support starting as non-root. Not to mention, ‘owner’ match would complicate things for this snap, since, iirc, this snap typically runs as root for other probes.

The snap used:

plugs:
  dot-local-share-xorg-logs:
    interface: personal-files
    read:
    - $HOME/.local/share/xorg

+1 for use of and auto-connect of personal-files for read access to $HOME/.local/share/xorg with the interface reference of dot-local-share-xorg-logs.

@reviewers - can others please vote?

1 Like

+1 with the added home based log.

+1 for the use and auto-connection of personal-files to read per-user Xorg log files.

@jdstrand - fair enough, that makes sense (I didn’t realise this snap ran as root so that is a good point too re owner). +1 from me too to add this via personal-files.

4 votes for, 0 against for for use of and auto-connect of personal-files for read access to $HOME/.local/share/xorg with the interface reference of dot-local-share-xorg-logs. This is now live.

Note, while I’ve adjusted the review-tools for use of the dot-local-share-xorg-logs, this is not yet in production in the store. Until it is, new revisions will need to be manually approved.

1 Like

Added dot-local-share-xorg-logs to hw-probe.

Manual review required: https://dashboard.snapcraft.io/snaps/hw-probe/revisions/540/

Please look at Manual Review Requested: hw-probe

The review-tools were recently updated and I re-ran the automated tests and it passes review now.

1 Like