Manual review request for cranky

Hi,

The cranky snap provides the development tools that the kernel team uses to prepare and produce Canonical kernel source packages. I’ve started with a strict snap but soon realized that I had to pull in lots of additional packages that cranky calls under the hood. It also needs to create chroots and schroot sessions. I therefore believe it make more sense for this to be a classic snap.

Thanks …Juerg

1 Like

Hi @juergh,

According to the process for reviewing classic snaps, we require that the request fit into one of the supported categories. Could you please identify if cranky snap fits within any of those categories and explain it more?

Thanks

It’s a developoment/workflow tool, so this: tools for local, non-root user driven configuration of/switching to development workspaces/environments.

Just to be clear, this is the tooling that the Canonical kernel team uses to produce all Ubuntu/Canonical kernels as detailed here https://canonical-kteam-docs.readthedocs-hosted.com/en/latest/tutorial/cranky_tutorial.html

This looks very similar to lpci and others in terms of the use-cases (needing to execute arbitrary binaries from the host) and I agree it fits within the existing category of tools for local, non-root user driven configuration of/switching to development workspaces/environments).

As such, the requirements for classic confinement are understood.

I have vetted the publisher, this is now live.