Manual review for cubelify-overlay

Hello,

I’ve submitted a new release for my app cubelify-overlay (publisher: jakubmeysner) that requires a manual review due to a personal-files plug latest-log - read-only access to $HOME/**/*/latest.log. This is used to access Minecraft log files which are essential for the app’s functionality.

I’d like to request that this plug is auto-connected if possible.

Hi @jakubmeysner,

We are usually cautious before granting access to files that don’t clearly belong to the snap. So, could you please explain the purpose of the snap and why it needs access to the latest.log file?

The scope of the read permission ( $HOME/**/*/latest.log) is also too wide and you probably should limit it to the concrete location of the file you need to access. The name of the plug (currently latest-log) should also be renamed accordingly to represent the file/directory it grants access to.

Hi @jakubmeysner - ping, can you please provide the requested information that @jslarraz mentioned? Thank you

It’s an app that allows users to view in-game statistics of other players. Access to the latest.log file is necessary to read the names of other players (to show their statistics). That access is essential to the app’s functionality.

I don’t believe the filename latest.log is used by any other applications, I could replace the wildcard plug with ones pointing to the following files though:

• ~/.minecraft/latest.log
  • ~/.lunarclient/offline/multiver/logs/latest.log
  • ~/.minecraft/logs/blclient/minecraft/latest.log

These would cover most users’ needs.

@cav

Pending an update to the personal-files paths to replace the wildcards with the specific file paths you mentioned, and appropriate plug names to go along with it, this request for read-only access to these personal files seems reasonable in regards to the apps functionality. +1 from me.

I’ve released an update replacing the wildcard plug with ones pointing to the paths listed above (with one small change - ~/.minecraft/logs/latest.log instead of ~/.minecraft/latest.log - I’ve accidentally omitted part of the path).

@jslarraz

It now looks fine for me. +1 from me to grant cubelify-overlay read access to : ~/.minecraft/logs/latest.log ~/.lunarclient/offline/multiver/logs/latest.log ~/.minecraft/logs/blclient/minecraft/latest.log’

+2 votes for, 0 votes against, we will grant auto-connect of interface personal-files to snap cubelify-overlay after publisher vetting.

Hi @advocacy - could you please perform publisher vetting. Thanks

Hi, what’s the usual timeline for the publisher vetting?

I’ll take over publisher vetting for this one.

@jakubmeysner from what I can see, you are appear to be the same individual as the upstream developer for this application (https://github.com/cubelify/cubelify-overlay-releases), however I have no good way to tie your forum user account here to your snapstore publishing account to your github account.

I am going to send an email to the email account registered in the snap store for your account - can you please reply to this and include a gpg-signed file using one of the gpg keys listed in your github account (https://api.github.com/users/jakubmeysner/gpg_keys) - that should be sufficient I think. Thanks.

1 Like

I have vetted the publisher.

I notice the latest revision of the snap now has 3 separate personal-files instances (which is fine) and they now conform to the standard naming convention - as such, I have gone ahead and granted read access to the following personal-files plugs:

• dot-lunarclient-offline-multiver-logs-latest-dot-log for $HOME/.lunarclient/offline/multiver/logs/latest.log
  • dot-minecraft-logs-blclient-minecraft-latest-dot-log for $HOME/.minecraft/logs/blclient/minecraft/latest.log
  • dot-minecraft-logs-latest-dot-log for $HOME/.minecraft/logs/latest.log

This is now live.