List snap dependecies on other snaps?

On Ubuntu 20.04 I can use:
snap list
to list all of the snaps installed I see I have core, core18, core20 etc. How do I find out which snap is using other snaps like which one is using “core” snap?

2 Likes

For specifically the core, core18, core20 snaps, these are base snaps that are needed by application snaps. You can see what base snap (a single app snap revision can only use a single base snap) a snap uses by running:

snap info --verbose chromium | grep base:

If the returned string from grep is empty, i.e. nothing is returned, then the snap has the default base of core.

1 Like

I don’t think that snaps check what dependencies are already installed. with the core snap, then some or all of the other snaps won’t work.

Did you have a fix on this issue? I have the same problem with Facing same issue but no response from anyone and couldnt find this topic troubleshooting in google.

ian described a solution to find the base snap above ? snaps usually do not have “dependencies”, some use extensions (like the gnome-3-34-1804 one) which will be automatically installed by snapd before the snap gets installed itself. you can find them with something like:

grep default-provider /snap/<snap-name>/current/meta/snap.yaml

I tested for gimp:
grep default-provider /snap/gimp/current/meta/snap.yaml | sort -u
and output is:

default-provider: gnome-3-28-1804
default-provider: gtk-common-themes
default-provider: kde-frameworks-5-core18

Does this mean Gimp is dependent on all those three snaps?

IIRC gtk-common-themes is provided by the gnome-3-28-1804 snap …
snap install gimp should have pulled in gnome-3-28-1804 and kde-frameworks-5-core18 at install time and IIRC it should have been auto-connected, did that not happen (you can check with snap connections gimp) ?