Layout is not respected within SNAP-hierarchy

Hi,

I’m packaging a snap and trying to use layouts, since one of the node_modules used in this program is trying to write to it’s own directory withing the $SNAP-hierarchy - (read-only).

It’s just a simple json-file, which do not exist on installation. The node_module will create it if its missing.

I’ve tried using layouts, as the documentation says (under the section «Creating new files and directories in read-only spaces») it will be writable

1. assuming it does not already exist,
  2. even within the $SNAP-hierarchy

But I cant get it to work. Any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong or how I can overcome this?

There’s no option to change the file location in the code, and making a patch for the source code will force me to rewrite a whole lot of the base.

Edit: I guess the node_module is determining the path relative to its base by __dirname, that equals to something similar to /snap/snapname/revision/lib/usr/etc... and not trying to read /usr/lib/etc, so it won’t be picked up that it’s «layouted» ?

Hmmm, wasn’t clear in the documentation, but this seems to work by «prepending» $SNAP in the declaration:

$SNAP/usr/lib/zwavejs2mqtt/node_modules/@zwave-js/config/config/devices/index.json:
    bind-file: $SNAP/usr/lib/zwavejs2mqtt/node_modules/@zwave-js/config/config/devices/index.json