We’re almost done integrating the traditional snapcraft and devices mailing lists and the forum. The goal is having our conversations in fewer places so that we can communicate, share information, and collaborate more effectively.
In practice, firstname.lastname@example.org or any specific category at forum+<category>@``snapcraft.io may be mailed and it will work similar to the mailing list. You can also respond to any posts you get via email as usual. Next the traditional email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org addresses will also land in the forum. The forum web interface may also be used by requesting a new password for your usual email.
For more details, read on.
The migration us being done in a way that attempts to preserve the mailing list semantics previously in place. In particular, those subscriptions migrated from the snapcraft list will receive an email for any posts in the #snap, #snapcraft, #release, #doc, and #forum categories, which reproduces somewhat well the nature of the content that used to circulate in the mailing list. Devices-only subscribers will similarly only get automatic watches on the #device category. Notably lacking from that list are the #snapd, #store, and #device categories. Those settings may be changed to expand or contract what is watched by visiting the Categories section in the personal preferences page.
The process is taking place in the following phases:
- Accept replies to topics via email
- Accept new messages at email@example.com
- Accept new messages at forum+<category>@``snapcraft.io
- Moderate new subscriptions to the old list
- Export subscribers from the old list
- Deduplicate subscriptions between list and forum
- Moderate all posts to the old list
- Notify everybody about the changes in progress
- Subscribe everybody to the forum preserving similar semantics
- Redirect old firstname.lastname@example.org address into the forum.
- Redirect old email@example.com address into the forum.
So we’re pretty much done by now.
If you have any issues, please respond to this post, or if you cannot reach the forum for any reason, please contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Some of the usernames were automatically assigned based on your email, but we can easily change it if you want a different one.