Installing the daemon

@O.Price.Skelly: Did you figure out if it was possible to install snap on Amazon Linux 2?

Thanks for adding Jammy Jellyfish, @sparkiegeek! Sorry I missed this myself.

1 Like

As a person new to Ubuntu/Linux and also someone who’s Snap doesn’t current work/open (and seeming leaves a lot of locked space that can’t be removed), this guidance is little help.

How is one to reinstall this system when it doesn’t work?

No instructions are given and you end up in an endless loop going between pages that are no help. Additionally the one instruction I could find, “sudo snap install snap-store” does not work and gives a “command not found” error.

Specific instructions should be included on how to get the system installed, not just “it’s there already”. Plus guidance on removing old packages taking up too much space should also be given somewhere.

Hello - thanks for your feedback. Could you let us know which distribution/version you’re using? Can you run the ‘snap’ command at all? We do provide install instructions for Ubuntu if snap isn’t currently installed (Installing snap on Ubuntu), but it doesn’t sound like this has helped your situation specifically.

I don’t know the version. It doesn’t open anymore. I can say it was up to date with Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS. I tried command line at it said that the snap command doesn’t exist.

try apt install snapd first … seemingly you not only removed snaps but also the snapd deb (which is used as a fallback for the snap command if the snapd snap has been removed on ubuntu/debian)

Didn’t work.

Impossible to reinstall because “snapd is already the newest version (2.57.5+22.04ubuntu0.1)”.

I don’t think it’s worthwhile to go any further. Ever since I gimped Snap and deleted the bloated packages, it has stopped giving “out of disk space” error in PiHole, which was the goal.

I just can’t add or remove anything ever again. And that’s OK.

Can anyone tell me which snap NextCloud install version do I need for Cloudlinux? Thanks.

Is snapd installed? Have you tried the latest/stable version?

1 Like

Just tried the quick start wizard and got all set up. Thanks!

1 Like

Dear Snapcraft Team,

I’m reaching out from AlmaLinux OS Foundation!

We’ve noticed that AlmaLinux isn’t included in the “Distributions without snap pre-installed” section of “Installing snapd” page. We’d like to request adding an AlmaLinux installer guide to this section to assist our users with the installation process.

Thank you for considering our request.

Best regards, Pawel Suchanecki Evangelist @ AlmaLinux.org

P.S. For your reference, an example of what we envision for the AlmaLinux guide is provided below.

AlmaLinux OS :penguin: is 1:1 binary compatible with RHELÂŽ and pre-Stream CentOS, so snap installs the same way as it does on RHEL. :arrows_counterclockwise:

The snap packages for AlmaLinux can be found in the Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 2 (EPEL) repository. :package:

Enable EPEL repo :minidisc:

If you haven’t done it yet, enable the EPEL repository for your AlmaLinux system:

sudo dnf install epel-release
sudo dnf upgrade

Install :hammer_and_wrench:

:information_source: TIP: Before proceeding with the installation of snap, it’s important to install the kernel-modules package. This package includes SquashFS, a compressed read-only file system for Linux, which is necessary for the snap functionality.

Install the kernel-modules, using the following command:

sudo dnf install kernel-modules

With the EPEL repository and kernel-modules added to your AlmaLinux installation, you can now install the snapd package: :inbox_tray:

sudo dnf install snapd

Set up :gear:

Next, instruct systemd to enable the unit providing the snap communication socket:

sudo systemctl enable --now snapd.socket

Finally – to enable classic snap support – create a symbolic link it requires:

sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap

Last installation step :checkered_flag:

To make sure the paths for snap are updated correctly, you just need to re-login. Reboot will work too. :arrows_counterclockwise:

Congratulations, snap is now installed and fully operational! :tada:

Optional: for Desktop Users :desktop_computer:

If you’re operating on a desktop environment, consider installing the Snap Store app (Installing the Snap Store app) :shopping_bags:

Hello! Thank you for getting in touch, and providing your own instructions - that’s really helpful! I’ll make sure we create a page and add AlmaLinux to the install instructions list.

Hello,

Thank you for considering my suggestion! I’m glad to see that AlmaLinux will be added to the installation instructions list. If you need any further information or assistance while implementing this, or anything related to AlmaLinux in general, please feel free to reach out.

Best regards, Pawel / AlmaLinux Evangelist psuchanecki@almalinux.org

Sorry for the delay on this, but we’ve just added install instructions for AlmaLinux OS (based on your own instructions, thank you!)

They’re published here: https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-almalinux

I tested them and, at least on 9.2 x86_64, I didn’t need to separately install kernel-modules for SquashFS. Is this something we should document for specific situations? Either way, the installation instructions are in a forum post that’s freely editable (anyone is welcome to edit/contribute):

Thanks again!