Installing snap on Ubuntu

Snap is pre-installed and ready to go on all recent releases of Ubuntu.

This means, if you’re running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) or later, including Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish) and Ubuntu 23.04 (Lunar Lobster), you don’t need to do anything.

If you need to know which version of Ubuntu you’re running, open Settings and select the About page. Alternatively, from the command line, type lsb_release -a.

For versions and flavours of Ubuntu that don’t include snap by default, snap can be installed from the Ubuntu Software Centre by searching for snapd.

Alternatively, snapd can be installed from the command line:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install snapd

Either log out and back in again, or restart your system, to ensure snap’s paths are updated correctly.

To test your system, install the hello-world snap and make sure it runs correctly:

$ sudo snap install hello-world
hello-world 6.4 from Canonical✓ installed
$ hello-world
Hello World!

Snap is now installed and ready to go! If you’re using a desktop, a great next step is to install the Snap Store app.

Snap store

I don’t think we should include Lubuntu on this page. You have to instinctively know that if you want to install on Lubuntu you must first click Can I run snaps? then Ubuntu.

Popular Ubuntu derivatives are worthy of their own pages. That they derive from Ubuntu is an implementation detail that their end users need not care about.

is it really worth still producing new documentation for 14.04 given it is EOL in april ?

Yep, agreed. We may have to rethink the way we list distributions as it may become too long if we slot the main derivatives in.

I think that’s a great problem to have, and I wouldn’t underestimate the power of a big grid of “holy sh-, this works everywhere.”

I think it’s a great story for snaps. Users of 14.04 can still get access to new apps and updates through the Snap Store.

1 Like

Hello sir, why I face this problem when i try to install snap packages ?

Please solve this problem.

Hello - can you let us know which Linux distribution you’re running, and paste the output from typing the snap version command?

Similar problems have been reported before ,with a few different potential solutions depending on your distribution and architecture.

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ESM will run out in April 2024, so probably should be removed from this page by that point (or soon thereafter).

All the other releases (14.10, 15.04, 15.10 - “Wily Werewolf” is still mentioned on this page) can probably be removed already now.

1 Like

Good point. Thanks for mentioning this up. I’ve tweaked that paragraph.

1 Like