Installing snap on Linux Mint

Snap is available for the latest release of Linux Mint, 21.1 (Vera), and for older releases from Linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) onwards.

You can find out which version of Linux Mint you’re running by opening System info from the Preferences menu.

From Linux Mint 20 onwards, a file called nosnap.pref needs to be either moved or removed from /etc/apt/preferences.d/ before Snap can be installed.

This can be accomplished from the command line, and the following command (for example) moves nosnap.pref to a renamed nosnap.backup file in your Documents directory:

sudo mv /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref ~/Documents/nosnap.backup

With the file removed from its original location, the package database needs to be updated next:

sudo apt update

To now install snap from the Software Manager application, search for snapd and click Install.

Alternatively, snapd can be installed from the command line:

sudo apt install snapd

To complete the installation, either restart your machine, or log out and in again.

To test your system, install the hello-world snap and make sure it runs correctly:

$ snap install hello-world
hello-world 6.4 from Canonical✓ installed
$ hello-world
Hello World!

Snap is now installed and ready to go! If you’re using a desktop, a great next step is to install the Snap Store app.

1 Like

The latest version of Linux Mint is 19.1 (Tessa) since December 2018.

Thanks for taking the trouble to let us know. We’ll update the instructions.

Hi, I believe you should also update the hello-world version from 6.3 to 6.4!
Many thanks for the great work!!

1 Like

Two notes

1. Latest Mint is now uma, and this still works
  2. An alternative to deleting is to comment out the comments and rename to “notnosnap.pref”

Doug Sojourner

Thanks! This was very helpful – much better than apt which said, “another package refers to snapd, but it is unavailable”, and implied it was obsolete.

Doug Sojourner

Thanks for letting us know this still works. I’ve just tested it too and updated the doc to reflect the latest releases.

Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon 5.15.0-41-generic

Install snap:

sudo apt update

sudo apt install software-properties-common

sudo rm /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref

sudo apt update

sudo apt install snapd

snap version

sudo systemctl status snapd

1 Like

Might consider updating the installation instructions on the site. Just saying.

$ snap install hello-world Command ‘snap’ not found, but can be installed with: sudo apt install snapd

By the way… I’ve searched my system, googled, searched site documents, and searched the forums.

No where can I find the combination of the words: snap help refresh

I must assume that its a snap refresh.

sudo dpkg -i warzone2100_ubuntu20.04_amd64.deb

(Reading database … 643047 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to unpack warzone2100_ubuntu20.04_amd64.deb … Unpacking warzone2100 (4.3.3) … dpkg: error processing archive warzone2100_ubuntu20.04_amd64.deb (–install): trying to overwrite ‘/usr/share/doc/warzone2100/ScriptingManual.htm’, which is also in package warzone2100-data 4.2.3-3 dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe) Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu3) … Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26+mint2+vera) … Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1ubuntu1) … Errors were encountered while processing: warzone2100_ubuntu20.04_amd64.deb

Hello!

This is covered in the instructions above. I also just tested Mint 21.1 and everything is still working for me.

Sorry, but I don’t understand the context of your question. Why are you looking for snap help refresh? Our documentation on controlling snap updates can be found here: https://snapcraft.io/docs/keeping-snaps-up-to-date

I’m not sure why the snap is not currently available (I can’t install this either). Hopefully this is just temporary.

For me on Mint, the deb has a single dependency of libphysfs1, which needs to be installed first:

sudo apt install libphysfs1
sudo dpkg -i warzone2100_ubuntu20.04_amd64.deb

The game then works.

Thank you! Great solution.