Installing snap on Fedora

Snap can be installed on Fedora from the command line:

$ sudo dnf install snapd

To enable classic snap support, enter the following to create a symbolic link between /var/lib/snapd/snap and /snap:

$ sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap

:warning: Fedora Silverblue implements a read-only root filesystem and, consequently, cannot allow the above symbolic link to be created. See the following associated GitHub issue for further details: Make it easier to link in or bind folders to root directory?

Installing snapd

Do these instructions work for CentOS and RHEL? If so, can we update the relevant links and commentary accordingly? If not, can we add instructions for those two distributions, please?

These instructions do not work for CentOS/RHEL, but there will be a documentation page for that distribution family as soon as @mborzecki and I get everything squared away.

For now, the instructions are in the updates topic for snapd for CentOS/RHEL.

I tried this on Silverblue and it didn’t work.

It uses ostree to manage system data and has a read only root.

I think the easiest way to do this would be to add a bind mount to the fstab or use a systemd mount file but when I tried this I ended up causing my system to fail to boot so I didn’t want to mess around after I recovered.

Edit:

I made a ticket for rpm-ostree to see if this sort of thing can be easier https://github.com/projectatomic/rpm-ostree/issues/1711

Thanks for letting us know, and for creating the ticket. I’ll add a note about Fedora Silverblue while we look into possible solutions.