Install snapcraft in fedora

Hello,

I have been trying to install snapcraft in fedora (if I understood correctly, that is the tool to build snaps?) but looks like i’m missing dependency:

python/apt_pkgmodule.h:19:35: fatal error: apt-pkg/deblistparser.h: No such file or directory
 #include <apt-pkg/deblistparser.h>
                                   ^
compilation terminated.
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

This is probably from python-apt or python-debian. You should just skip installing these. Snapcraft only uses (imports) them on Debian-derived distributions.

Snapcraft is currently useless without apt 1.1 or newer (we have apt-rpm for our apt implementation, which is forked from apt 0.5) and python-apt (which requires a modern version of apt). We have python3-debian in Fedora (gimped without python3-apt, but it’s the best we can do for now). Fixing the apt situation would require getting the rpm backend merged into mainline apt so that Fedora’s apt can be upgraded, which is beyond my skills.

@kyrofa and I have been discussing this at the Snappy sprint last week, and we do plan on making Snapcraft not completely broken on Fedora as soon as base snaps are supported. Adding a dnf backend will enable Snapcraft to work natively with Fedora environments.

1 Like