Impossible to install Nextcloud - snap-core-7396.mount failed

Hello,

I upgraded my server on Debian 9 precisely to install Nextcloud via Snap. I’ve installed Snap, then updated, upgraded and rebooted everything to hell. But every time I try to perform the command, this happens:

● snap-core-7396.mount - Mount unit for core
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/snap-core-7396.mount; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-08-19 12:23:00 UTC; 19s ago
Where: /snap/core/7396
What: /var/lib/snapd/snaps/core_7396.snap
Process: 27836 ExecMount=/bin/mount /var/lib/snapd/snaps/core_7396.snap /snap/core/7396 -t squashfs (code=exited, status=32)

Aug 19 12:23:00 ns364271 systemd[1]: Mounting Mount unit for core…
Aug 19 12:23:00 ns364271 systemd[1]: snap-core-7396.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=32
Aug 19 12:23:00 ns364271 systemd[1]: Failed to mount Mount unit for core.
Aug 19 12:23:00 ns364271 systemd[1]: snap-core-7396.mount: Unit entered failed state.

Does somebody have an idea on how to fix this, please ?

Thanks by advance

what is the output of snap version ?

Hi, here it is:

snap version
snap 2.21-2+b1
snapd 2.21-2+b1
series 16
debian 9

Thank you

well, the one info i was after is missing … did it not print “kernel” as last line ?

I suspect you have a kernel that doesn’t include support for squashfs.

yes, thats what i suspect too, and the reason why i wanted to see the kernel version (stadard debian kerels should have squashfs support though) … there is also a mounting issue with one of the recent 5.x kernels (i forgot which version exactly) so the exact kernel version would be interesting nontheless.

Hi, thanks for your help.

No, I’ve got nothing regarding the kernel when I look for the version.

Well, what kernel do you use then ?

I’m not sure I know how to answer to that, to be honest

What does it print if you run uname -a in a terminal? That should give an indication of what kernel you’re running.

2 Likes

additionally the output of grep squashfs /proc/filesystems would be of interest …

Hi, here is the output:

uname -a
Linux ns364271 4.19-ovh-xxxx-std-ipv6-64 #840029 SMP Wed Aug 7 08:31:49 UTC 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks

This doesn’t look like a standard Debian 9 kernel, so as @ogra said it probably means some required kernel feature is missing. If your hosting provider restricts you to using this kernel, then I’m not sure what to suggest.

1 Like

Yeah OVH is pretty well-known for using non-standard kernels and still calling it Ubuntu. You should be able to install a standard one, though.

Hi, thanks for your answer. Technically, I’m running Debian 9 on my server. Have you got any idea how to put a normal kernel, please ?

Hi, sorry to bump this topic, I’d like to know if someone does have an idea on how to install a proper kernel on my server.

Thanks by advance

well, if it is possible, the OVH documentation should probably have info about it … if not, perhaps the OVH support can help …