How well suited is snaps for closed source software?

Hi!

Sorry if this would fit better in another category, feel free to move it if so.

I just came across this reddit thread where Mojang (the company making Minecraft, owned by Microsoft) seems reluctant publishing their new bedrock engine for Linux because it’s not obvious to them how they can publish for Linux. They say that the software is already running on Linux, but that there is no store or update mechanism for closed source software on Linux so they can’t.

Possibly this is the reason for other companies as well to hold back on Linux. How well suited is snaps (or flatpak or appimages) for closed source software? And if it is well suited already maybe one of you that knows the ins and out can reach out a hand and tell them about it?

You can find the thread here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MCPE/comments/6hjl3g/want_crossplay_with_macos_or_linux_vote_for/

1 Like

At first thought, it shouldn’t really matter. It’s not like the source code
is distributed with the snap. Maybe I’m missing something, but I assume that’s the case anyways. If they use GiHub, they could even have it publish to the store with the integration point that already exists.

1 Like

Snapcraft doesn’t include the source. Unless of course a snap is using eg. Python or JavaScript. But that would be the same for any other platform, they would have to use a transpiler or obfuscade the code somehow to hide it.

As for AppImage, 100% suitable. AppImage is under the very permissive MIT license, and the person who makes an AppImage decides what to put inside. In this regard, think of an AppImage as a self-mounting ISO file where you decide what to put inside.

There are many companies already using it to distribute software to Linux users.