How to run NPM scripts with NodeJS plugin

Snapcraft used to accept a list of commands for NPM to run, however in v3.0 npm-run has been removed.

How can I replicate the following in v3.0?

parts:
  frontend:
    plugin: nodejs
    npm-run: [build]
    stage: [dist]

I have been trying different variations of

parts:
  frontend:
    # nodejs-package-manager: npm
    source: frontend
    override-build: |
      ../npm/bin/yarn run build

But with no success

Launching a VM.
Updating pull step for defaults (source changed)                                
Skipping pull frontend (already ran)
'mongoose' has dependencies that need to be staged: frontend
Skipping pull frontend (already ran)
Building frontend 
Yarn requires Node.js 4.0 or higher to be installed.
Failed to run 'override-build': Exit code was 1.

you probably want to use node-engine: and make sure to get a new enough node version into your snap … there is also node-package-manager to point the plugin to yarn…

The default version (8.x) is high enough for my purpose, and yarn is the default package manager. Explicitly specifying them doesn’t make any difference though.

parts:
  frontend:
    # nodejs-package-manager: npm
    source: frontend
    override-build: |
      export PATH=$PATH:../npm/bin
      yarn run build

Appending the missing folder to $PATH works and I can then run yarn/npm commands. However then it complains about the dist path I am trying to stage.

Staging frontend
Failed to copy '/root/parts/frontend/install/dist': no such file or directory

Why is it trying to stage dist from that path? Shouldn’t it be looking in /root/parts/frontend/build/dist (which is where the files it is looking for actually reside)?

So basically to sum things up, I have 2 questions:

1. Why does the nodejs plugin not add the required node binaries to the $PATH variable so they can be used in override scripts? Is this a bug?
  2. Why is stage looking in install rather than build folder for its files? Is this correct or should I be doing it differently? I want to stage the files so that they can be picked up by another part.