How to get snapd to work with external mounts?

I posted this query a while back but got no response.

The setup is this. Debian 9 with a LVM logical volume mounted on /var/lib/snapd. This is because the main disk in an NVME one and is of a limited size reserved for home and root.

snapd appears to install correctly save the other I pointed out with apparmor config.

Preparing to unpack .../snapd_2.27.6-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking snapd (2.27.6-2) ...
Setting up snapd (2.27.6-2) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/snapd.autoimport.service → /lib/systemd/system/snapd.autoimport.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/timers.target.wants/snapd.refresh.timer → /lib/systemd/system/snapd.refresh.timer.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/snapd.socket → /lib/systemd/system/snapd.socket.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/snapd.service → /lib/systemd/system/snapd.service.
Warning from /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.snapd.snap-confine.real (/etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.snapd.snap-confine.real line 396): Unconfined exec qualifier (ux) allows some dangerous environment variables to be passed to the unconfined process; 'man 5 apparmor.d' for details.

snaps also appear to install fine no complaints.

snap install hello-world
2018-01-09T18:28:35Z INFO Waiting for restart...
hello-world 6.3 from 'canonical' installed

But running the snap proves impossible.

hello-world
cannot bind-mount the mount namespace file /proc/25509/ns/mnt -> hello-world.mnt: Permission denied
support process for mount namespace capture exited abnormally

I initially thought it was an apparmor thing but stopping apparmor did not seem to solve the problem.

The lv is mounted with standard perms.

/dev/mapper/vg_ssd-snap on /var/lib/snapd type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,noquota)

And the snaps seem to mount fine too.

/var/lib/snapd/snaps/core_3748.snap on /snap/core/3748 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/snapd/ns type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=3270688k,mode=755)
/var/lib/snapd/snaps/hello-world_27.snap on /snap/hello-world/27 type squashfs (ro,nodev,relatime)

perms on /proc seems normal to me too.

dr-xr-xr-x 501 root root 0 Jan 8 20:45 proc

So what is happening?

snapd 2.27.6-2 Linux 4.14.0-2-amd64

So been digging a little more and apparmor does seem to be the culprit but it has to be a misconfiguration of /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.snapd.snap-confine.real

This is what happens when I run hello from the hello-world snap.

Jan 14 15:27:26 debian-9 kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1515943646.077:1019): apparmor="DENIED" operation="capable" profile="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" pid=18804 comm="snap-confine" capability=2  capname="dac_read_search"
Jan 14 15:27:26 debian-9 audit[18804]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="capable" profile="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" pid=18804 comm="snap-confine" capability=2  capname="dac_read_search"
Jan 14 15:27:26 debian-9 kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1515943646.165:1020): apparmor="DENIED" operation="capable" profile="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" pid=18804 comm="snap-confine" capability=2  capname="dac_read_search"
Jan 14 15:27:26 debian-9 audit[18809]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="ptrace" profile="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" pid=18809 comm="snap-confine" requested_mask="trace" denied_mask="trace" peer="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine"
Jan 14 15:27:26 debian-9 audit[18809]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="ptrace" profile="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" pid=18809 comm="snap-confine" requested_mask="tracedby" denied_mask="tracedby" peer="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine"
Jan 14 15:27:26 debian-9 kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1515943646.189:1021): apparmor="DENIED" operation="ptrace" profile="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" pid=18809 comm="snap-confine" requested_mask="trace" denied_mask="trace" peer="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine"
Jan 14 15:27:26 debian-9 kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1515943646.189:1022): apparmor="DENIED" operation="ptrace" profile="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine" pid=18809 comm="snap-confine" requested_mask="tracedby" denied_mask="tracedby" peer="/usr/lib/snapd/snap-confine"

Something is definitely not right and it boils down to an apparmor config I think.

Ok this is gettting frustrating now. I managed to remove dac_read_search error by adding capability dac_read_search, to the apparmor profile but the trace traceby I can’t fix because from the manpage.

AppArmor also restricts what privileged operations a confined process may execute, even if the process is running as root. A confined process
cannot call the following system calls:

create_module(2) delete_module(2) init_module(2) ioperm(2)
           iopl(2) ptrace(2) reboot(2) setdomainname(2)
           sethostname(2) swapoff(2) swapon(2) sysctl(2)

So how the hell does snapd EVER work normally?

Hello.

I think that problems affecting Debian 9 are solved but the package is out of date. The current release is 2.30. (CC @mwhudson )

Hmm really? It would explain a lot I guess. Debian does seem to be lagging behind.

apt-show-versions -a snapd
snapd:amd64 2.27.6-2 install ok installed
snapd:amd64 2.21-2+b1 stretch ftp.uk.debian.org
No stable-updates version
snapd:amd64 2.27.6-2  testing ftp.uk.debian.org
snapd:amd64/testing 2.27.6-2 uptodate
snapd:i386 2.21-2+b1 stretch ftp.uk.debian.org
No stable-updates version
snapd:i386 2.27.6-2  testing ftp.uk.debian.org
snapd:i386 not installed

Is there any way I can fix the apparmor stuff manually until newer packages come out ?

Thanks.

The changes are in the apparmor profile and in the regular code. Perhaps it’s possible to just hack the apparmor profile into compliance but I honestly don’t know off the top of my head.

Yeah … trying to build the 2.30 deb myself from source but hitting a bug somewhere. Anyone know why it is complaining about this?

returned exit code 1
debian/rules:120: recipe for target 'override_dh_auto_build' failed
make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_build] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/snapd-2.30'
debian/rules:85: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1152:

Which seems to point to these lines in debian/rules

override_dh_auto_build:
        # usually done via `go generate` but that is not supported on powerpc
        ./mkversion.sh
        # Build golang bits
        mkdir -p _build/src/$(DH_GOPKG)/cmd/snap/test-data
        cp -a cmd/snap/test-data/*.gpg _build/src/$(DH_GOPKG)/cmd/snap/test-data/
        dh_auto_build -- $(BUILDFLAGS) $(TAGS) $(GCCGOFLAGS)

Can’t for the life of me see what it wrong there…

Can you try the 2.29.4 source package from ubuntu bionic please? The 2.30 package is stuck in process due to meltdown/spectre and impact on build farms.

Sure I am building from git tree. I’ll let you know…

Edit: Hmmm fails with the same error. Odd.

Ahh I think that is a misdirection… it is nothing to do with the script it is to do with the build itself. Missing elements in the git repo!

xgettext-go/main.go:16:2: cannot find package "github.com/jessevdk/go-flags" in any of:
	/usr/lib/go-1.9/src/github.com/jessevdk/go-flags (from $GOROOT)
	/usr/src/snapd-2.29.4/_build/src/github.com/jessevdk/go-flags (from $GOPATH)

just for reference:

and the corresponding commit is:

https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/4256

Snapd in Debian sid has just (last night) been updated to 2.30-4. I would be curious to see if that package works for everyone and if we can somehow do an update for Debian 9. Man thanks to @mwhudson who did the work!

I did some quick testing on a fully-up-to-date Debian sid just now and I could run spotify, gimp and a few less frequently used snaps.

Well from my side I added sid repo and pulled in the latest snapd, did not work initially because it needed libcap2 as well. So installed that but still had a few odd errors… reloaded apparmor still issues. Purged snapd and removed any dangling files (a README in /snap for some reason) and installed again.The result?

:~$ hello-world Hello World!

WooHoo!!!

I will try it with some other snaps and see if I can break it again :wink:

1 Like

Woot, thank you! I wonder what the issues were from (the README file should be fixed in the next release, it was fixed in master AFAIK). Keep testing and share your experiences :slight_smile:

Yup… Installed teleconsole and castersoundboard they both seem to work too! It is a bit of a relief because I was not sure if the mounting of /var/lib/snapd on a different device was causing the problems which would have been headache because like I say I have limited space on my NVME drive. For the record I am doing the same with flatpaks only they never seem to have a problem :wink:

Thanks for all the pointers though I have a much better understanding now of snap apparmor and the inherent problems of the namespacing snapd does.

Cheers.

1 Like