Help please: kubectl + doctl strictly confined

I’ve noticed that many other projects that interact with kubectl use classic confinement (as does kubectl itself.) I also saw a request for a kubernetes-config interface back in February. I think a k8s-config interface would be a much better solution than each snap wrestling with personal-files. I’ve also run into a situation which can’t be solved cleanly using that interface.

I really don’t want to revert this snap to classic for one aspect of it’s behavior, when I have everything else working in strict.

I’m working on getting doctl, in a strictly confined snap, compatible with kubectl.

I’ve worked through most of the problem using personal-files.

The problem I’m having is that

doctl k8s cluster kubeconfig save <k8s_cluster>

is setting the command in ~/.kube/config to the command called by the launcher, rather than
the name of the doctl command itself.

~/.kube/config

users:
- name: do-sfo2-fred2-admin
  user:
    exec:
      apiVersion: client.authentication.k8s.io/v1beta1
      args:
      - kubernetes
      - cluster
      - kubeconfig
      - exec-credential
      - --version=v1beta1
      - 12345dfa-whatever
      command: doctl.real
      env: null

I’m using the launcher so that I can share the doctl and kubectl config files with kubectl.

If I manually edit ~/.kube/config to replace doctl.real with doctl everything works fine.

An example of the errors I see:

hilary@doctl-snap:~$ kubectl --context do-sfo2-fred2 get nodes
Unable to connect to the server: getting credentials: exec: exec: "doctl.real": executable file not found in $PATH

The value for users: user: exec: command: is set as os.Args[0] here.

I think the problem arises because command-doctl.wrapper execs the launcher.

Is there a known solution? Am I doing something wrong? I would really appreciate some help.

Classic confinement Request: doctl