Gnome extension for core24

Hi, Currently the gnome extension is missing in core24:

When can we expect it to be available?

1 Like

Available in the sense, that the gnome extension can be used in a regular build - i.e. without SNAPCRAFT_ENABLE_EXPERIMENTAL_EXTENSIONS of course.

By the way, enabling the experimental gnome extension leads to the following error when trying to launch the app:

Content snap command-chain for /snap/dayon/x1/gnome-platform/command-chain/desktop-launch not found: ensure slot is connected

I don’t know about timeframes, but I believe the main hold up is on getting the GPU drivers into their own content snaps and then having all the snaps signed so they can be autoconnected (which is why you’re getting the command-chain error above).

You could manually connect that interface for your snap and preview the functionality but the snap should only be released once Snapcraft removes it as experimental (as in, your snap is rebuilt by a version that doesn’t consider it experimental). By that point everything should be setup to be user friendly.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks for sharing these insights!

Manual connection snap connect dayon:gnome-46-2404 fails with error: snap "core" has no "content" interface slots, but I guess that we’ll just have to wait for the extension to become stable.

run

sudo snap connect dayon:gnome-46-2404 gnome-46-2404

The first one is the plug name and the second one is the provider. Because you can actually change the provider.

@soumyaDghosh You’re right, thanks for your help!

Now at least I know for sure, that moving to core24 won’t solve my issue with Java/Wayland/Pipewire

https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-sdk/pull/216

I really want to say a line, there are some things happening around the gnome and kde extension that I really don’t like and don’t at all think that they will listen to the community.

1 Like

Great, I left a comment there - maybe it will help the cause!

You can still try the way I did in kooha-snap. Commented in another forum thread.

Thanks again, I’ll try that!

1 Like

FWIW one of the roadblocks for Gnome on Core24 has just been unblocked

Closer, closer…

3 Likes

It seems like the gnome extension is working now within snaps relying on core24. At least I did test one of my snaps today, it finished a successful build and it seemed to run fine (with some linter and permission warnings - but nothing preventing it to run for the most part).

3 Likes