Gnome 3.38 on CentOS 7

I’m trying to upgrade the already installed Gnome 3.28 on CentOS 7 to Gnome 3.38. I’ve downloaded it from Install gnome-3-38-2004 on CentOS using the Snap Store | Snapcraft. But when I restart CentOS, it does not show any option to change the desktop environment during login (The cog that gives options for selecting the desktop environment). Can someone kindly help me with this? I’ll appreciate it. Also, if there is any way to download the KDE Plasma desktop too. The thing is the already installed desktop is not any good and I really want to change it. Thanks.

The gnome-3-38-2004 snap does not provide gnome itself to your machine, it simply provides libraries which enable snaps that are built to use gnome 3.38 libraries to work on your machine without needing to install gnome 3.38 on your machine natively.

If you want to upgrade the version of gnome you are using on Centos, you would need to install the right native rpm package for gnome 3.38 there, but I’m not sure if it’s available or not for Centos 7.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I think you are right. There isn’t any native package for it. Now, I have to use the old one. :disappointed: :disappointed: