GitKraken icon missing

Hi All

The app icon for GitKraken doesn’t appear (see a grey gear cog instead) after installing it via Snap.

gitkraken 5.0.4

After doing a bit of research, I added ‘StartupWMClass’ to the desktop file /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/gitkraken_gitkraken.desktop and rebooted - however the proper icon still doesn’t show. Here are the contents of the entire desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
X-SnapInstanceName=gitkraken
Name=GitKraken
Comment=Unleash your repo
GenericName=Git Client
Exec=env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/gitkraken_gitkraken.desktop /snap/bin/gitkraken %U
Icon=gitkraken
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Development;RevisionControl;
MimeType=text/plain;
StartupWMClass=gitkraken

Has anyone else come across this issue? Would be nice to see it working properly.

Thanks

Regards

Sumeet

Same here in Kubuntu 18.04 and 19.04

Same issue on ubuntu 19.04

Is there any guarantee that GItkraken developer see this issue?

I got it working on Ubuntu 18.04, GitKraken 6.0.0

I modified the .desktop file to point to the GitKraken icon in the installation folder, which for me was /snap/gitkraken/139/usr/share/gitkraken/gitkraken.png

The modified .desktop file located at /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/gitkraken_gitkraken.desktop now looks like -

[Desktop Entry]
X-SnapInstanceName=gitkraken
Name=GitKraken
Comment=Unleash your repo
GenericName=Git Client
Exec=env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/gitkraken_gitkraken.desktop /snap/bin/gitkraken %U
Icon=/snap/gitkraken/139/usr/share/gitkraken/gitkraken.png
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Development;RevisionControl;
MimeType=text/plain;

Rebooting wasn’t necessary.

I ran into the same issue, and corrected it the same way before seeing this post.

I used the current symbolic link instead of the specific version number:

Icon=/snap/gitkraken/current/usr/share/gitkraken/gitkraken.png

Works well on Ubuntu 19.04

Ubuntu 18.04

sed "s#.*Icon=.*#Icon=/snap/gitkraken/current/usr/share/gitkraken/gitkraken.png#g" /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/gitkraken_gitkraken.desktop

It might be best to contanct GitKraken about this. They are the ones publishing the snap, and I can’t find the source anywhere online, so it’s not possible for us to help them fix it.

I got a response from them:

The icon missing not showing up on snap install is a known issue that our team is looking into. I will +1 the bug report to notate your interest in the fix.

It works for me (Ubuntu 19.04).

Thanks!