Gimp + ubuntu 16.04 : suddenly stops working

Hello,

I had installed Gimp-snap on Ubuntu 16.04, at work where I use Gimp hours a day.
Worked as expected, after setting needed permissions, re-installing some plugins, etc.

Today when trying to launch it :

palace4@proliant:~$ gimp
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/palace4/snap/gimp/273/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini': File exists
/snap/gimp/273/usr/bin/gimp: error while loading shared libraries: libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
palace4@proliant:~$ 

and if trying to remove it

palace4@proliant:~$ sudo snap remove gimp
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Disconnect gimp:removable-media from snapd:removable-media (cannot update mount namespace of snap "gimp": cannot update preserved namespace of snap "gimp": 
-----
update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change unmount (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/var/cache/fontconfig /var/cache/fontconfig none bind,ro 0 0): invalid argument
cannot update snap namespace: no such file or directory
-----)

Any hints ?

I suspect you’ve got an in-progress or broken update. I recently released revision 281 to stable, which your system has likely tried to update onto. If you run snap changes and then snap change <change-number> you might find more information. You can possibly get around the mount namespace issue with sudo /usr/lib/snapd/snap-discard-ns gimp.

palace4@proliant:~$ snap changes
ID   Status  Spawn                Ready                Summary
7    Error   today at 00:59 CEST  today at 00:59 CEST  Auto-refresh snap "gimp"
8    Error   today at 06:19 CEST  today at 06:19 CEST  Auto-refresh snap "gimp"
9    Error   today at 16:04 CEST  today at 16:04 CEST  Auto-refresh snap "gimp"
10   Error   today at 19:58 CEST  today at 19:58 CEST  Remove "gimp" snap
11   Error   today at 20:00 CEST  today at 20:00 CEST  Remove "gimp" snap
12   Error   today at 20:59 CEST  today at 20:59 CEST  Auto-refresh snaps "gtk2-common-themes", "gimp"

palace4@proliant:~$ sudo snap refresh
[sudo] Mot de passe de palace4 : 
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Setup snap "gimp" (281) security profiles (cannot update mount namespace of snap "gimp": cannot update preserved namespace of snap "gimp": 
-----
update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change unmount (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/var/cache/fontconfig /var/cache/fontconfig none bind,ro 0 0): invalid argument
cannot update snap namespace: no such file or directory
-----)

And finally

palace4@proliant:~$ sudo /usr/lib/snapd/snap-discard-ns gimp
[sudo] Mot de passe de palace4 : 
palace4@proliant:~$ sudo snap refresh
gimp 2.10.20 from Snapcrafters refreshed
palace4@proliant:~$ gimp
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/palace4/snap/gimp/281/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser.ini': File exists
Gtk-Message: 22:09:23.760: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
/snap/gimp/281/usr/bin/gimp: Gimp-Widgets-AVERTISSEMENT: parse_iso_codes: error parsing '/build/gimp/parts/gimp/install/usr/share/xml/iso-codes/iso_639.xml': No such file or directory

Gtk-Message: 22:09:29.759: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
Gtk-Message: 22:09:37.780: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
/snap/gimp/281/usr/bin/gimp: LibGimpBase-AVERTISSEMENT: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error
Gtk-Message: 22:09:38.911: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
Gtk-Message: 22:09:39.332: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
gimp_check_updates_callback: loading of https://gimp.org/gimp_versions.json failed: Operation not supported

So now gimp seems to work again.

What happened - in a human language I may understand ?

I don’t know the reason, but snapd gets confused every now and then.

Mmm…

…thanks for the help, first.

But it’s another « detail » to add to an already long list of details that don’t help in snap adoption.

1 Like

A little off-topic, I know, but that’s something that shouldn’t have happened at all. One of the selling points of Snap is just that its transactional, in such if an update doesn’t complete for whatever reason, it shouldn’t mess with an existing working app. At least, that’s what I understood…

What likely happened here is a bug with the mount namespace construction code for layouts, essentially what the gimp snap asks to do is difficult to do and snapd has bugs trying to do it correctly. If you could file a bug at Bugs : snapd with these logs so we can look at it, that would be appreciated.

Yes, unless there are bugs :smile:

2 Likes

Here it is : https://bugs.launchpad.net/snapd/+bug/1884849

Now I found a little issue in Gimp, both on 16.04 and 20.04 so I suspect here it may not be related to snap itself :
â‹… tools-group does not work as expected. Whatever setting I choose in preferences
gimp_grouptools_02
I always have to click on a group-tool to show the list of other tools.

I expect this list to show on mouse hover.

In this situation, first click show the list, second click enables one tool from the list. It’s one click too much.

And other side-effect is now, if I want to go from one ( enabled ) tool to another one, I need to click twice and not reliably…
Peek%2024-06-2020%2001-23

Peek%2026-06-2020%2003-15
Well maybe I don’t understand how it works or the names for each menu-mode are misleading.
Here it’s show on click ( on AppImage, but works the same in Snap ).

The pop-over with keyboard shortcut shows on hover.

Left-click to choose a tool. Right-click or long left-click to select a tool from the group.

If I select hover menu-mode I always have to click on tool to select from the list but then it’s a hell to go from a tool to another.

Hey, I’m a snapd developer responsible for this area of the system. I’m looking into this issue now.

Can you tell me if you are still experiencing this problem? It would help if you do and you can provide some additional information.

Are you talking about menu-mode for grouped toolbox or the update / uninstall issue ?

Ask and I’ll do my best to provide.