Get-iplayer does not install properly on Raspbian Buster

I installed get-iplayer on my RaspberryPi (under Raspbian Buster) using instructions from the snapcraft.io/install/get-iplayer/debian: it installed OK using snap (get-iplayer from snapcrafters installed).However, it won’t run:
get-iplayer -> bash: get-iplayer: command not found
I checked if it was installed using Synaptic Package Manager and it wasn’t!
Any ideas on how to properly install it using Raspbian?
PS I was able to install get-iplayer under Ubuntu Bionic (18.04) using snap.
I just received an email saying (for the second time today) " Your post was flagged as spam : the community feels it is an advertisement, something that is overly promotional in nature instead of being useful or relevant to the topic as expected.
Multiple community members flagged this post before it was hidden, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.
However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff.".
This is very irritating. If this keeps on happening, I will not be posting about other software having problems after snap install or giving solutions to those problems that I have found.

I’m not a user of get-iplayer, but the screenshots on the install page show an underscore, not a dash for the command …

get_iplayer ...

@ogra The screenshots are from an old version (3.10). The software’s maintainer recently changed its name from get_iplayer to get-iplayer. BTW The maintainer does not create the snap version of this software. I don’t know who does but my guess is someone at Canonical. So hopefully Canonical will fix the problem.

if you go to the toplevel page:

you will find a “Contact” link that brings you to an issue tracker …

@degville any idea why the Contact links are hidden from the distro specific install pages ?

@ogra I don’t understand what you mean by the toplevel page. On https://snapcraft.io/install/get-iplayer/raspbian there is no link. I’ve tried replacing raspbian with linux and just removing raspbian: both give ‘page not found’.

just click on the link i posted …

I don’t see any Contact link or similar link/word after clicking on that link. This website will not allow me to post a copy of that link’s URL. Please clarify.

Bildschirmfoto%20von%202020-06-28%2014-00-10

The Contact link is hardly obvious. I clicked on it and it threw me over to github giving no clue as to hat to do. So I did a search for snap which gave 27,000 results. No clue as to how to record an issue, even though I’m registered with github & was signed in. Clicking on “Issues” gives zero results. Any ideas?

what happens if you run snap run get-iplayer instead of get-iplayer? I suspect raspberry pi os hasn’t updated your PATH when you installed snapd.

1 Like

that big green button on the issues page the contact link gets you to … the one that says “New Issue” … might be helpful … (but i guess @lucyllewy is on the right track here … raspbian has likely not the correct paths set by default or you did not logout and back in after installing snapd)

1 Like

Twice today after I have posted, I have received an email stating:
" Your post was flagged as spam : the community feels it is an advertisement, something that is overly promotional in nature instead of being useful or relevant to the topic as expected.
Multiple community members flagged this post before it was hidden, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.
However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff.".

When I edited my last post, it was then immediately hidden. I think that Snapcraft are using an AI app (rather than multiple community members) to do this, given the speed of it happening. I do not appreciate this sort of lying. As a result, I will not vbe posting anymore to this website, even though I have solutions to other snap problems.

there i no AI or any conspiracy here, this is just a normal discourse instance witout anything fancy …

it is more likely some troll got hooked on you or some such … not sure who could un-flag it though

If some troll generated this (which includes an email to my email account i.e. not a PM on this site), it means that this site has been hacked. As I said previously, I will not be posting anymore to this website, even though I have solutions to other snap problems.

huh ?
anyone with a valid user account can flag other peoples posts, i’m not sure why or who did this but there would definitely be no need for anyone to hack the site for this …

I don’t know why it’s not there on the distro-specific pages, but I’ll ask the web team.

1 Like