Freedesktop icons missing

Hello my app crashes in the runtime (fails to load) due to the lack of some icons. Here’s my snapcraft.yaml:

name: nixwriter
base: core20
version: "2.0.0"
summary: Bootable Linux image writer
description: |
  Create bootable Linux images into flash drives from a simple user interface.

grade: devel 
confinement: devmode 

parts:
  nixwriter:
    source: "."
    plugin: rust
    build-packages:
      - libgtk-3-dev
    stage-packages:
      - libgtk-3-0
      - adwaita-icon-theme-full
      - gnome-icon-theme
      - hicolor-icon-theme

apps:
  nixwriter:
    command: bin/nixwriter
    plugs:
      - desktop
      - desktop-legacy
      - x11
      - wayland
      - udisks2
      - removable-media

The error I get is:

(nixwriter:20173): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:16:56.679: Could not find the icon ‘user-home-symbolic-ltr’. The ‘hicolor’ theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

(nixwriter:20173): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:16:56.679: Could not load a pixbuf from /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/16x16/status/image-missing.png.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Gtk:ERROR:…/…/…/…/gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
Bail out! Gtk:ERROR:…/…/…/…/gtk/gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)
zsh: abort (core dumped) nixwriter

I tried to use the gnome-3-24 extension but that would not work under core20. And the project fails to build under core18 due to some C missing library features and fails to compile.

How can I give the snap access to the freedesktop icons?

by using a desktop launcher … (or by setting all the required environment variables manually)

I want to add that the desktop extensions are now the recommended way to create a snap for desktop applications. The snapcraft-desktop-helpers project should only be used for a few very specific situations such as 32-bit applications and legacy GTK+ 2 applications.

@adnan338 for your application I would recommend the gnome-3-28 extension. This one is specifically built for GTK 3 applications. It automatically adds the desktop launcher to your snap and includes an number of improvements to make your snap smaller, start quicker, and make it use the system themes.

See GTK 3 applications for a complete tutorial on how to create a snap for a GTK 3 application.

Edit: I didn’t see that you require core20. A gnome extensions for core20 is in the works, but not released yet.

well, it really depends on your project … for snaps that i design specifically for desktop-only use i definitely use the extensions … but i have enough snaps in the store that i want to be used in other contexts (i.e. kiosk setups on core) where i don’t really want to have an additional snap of ~300MB downloaded alongside …

Ok, I agree the desktop helpers can still be useful for kiosks.

Your comment made me curious what the space savings were on the desktop.

• gnome-3-28-1804 is 169MB.
  • gtk-common-themes is 65MB.
  • When I switched one of my snaps to the extension, its size fell by 92MB.

So you’d need about three snaps before gnome-3-28 saves you space. I’m guessing this will be difficult on a kiosk. On my desktop, I have 12 snaps using gnome-3-28, so it makes sense there.

This doesn’t seem to be the case for gnome-3-34, however. Only 2 snaps use it and its size is 267MB.

for your application I would recommend the gnome-3-28 extension . This one is specifically built for GTK 3 applications. It automatically adds the desktop launcher to your snap and includes an number of improvements to make your snap smaller, start quicker, and make it use the system themes.

What would it take to make a version of this for core22?

It’s now gnome only in core22 and onwards

Awesome! btw, the syntax now is: extensions: [gnome]

1 Like