Flightgear version update

Can you update the version of Flightgear to the newest version on snap?
I would be interested in this, as well as many other users who play Flightgear.

1 Like

Hi there! I did look at making a snap of Flightgear, about 3 years ago. I never finished it, but will take another look over the holidays! Thanks for the reminder.

2 Likes

Would this be a PPA? If so, I wouldn’t download it because of the security risk.

No, it would be a snap. You’re asking about an updated version on the Snapcraft.io site, so it is understood that you wanted a snap of flightgear. Alan also stated that they had worked on a snap but hadn’t finished and will now try to update their work on that snap.

1 Like

Ok. So I understand that this will be available via the App store on Ubuntu 18.04 or will be available via snapcraft.io?

That’s the goal. I’m currently blocked because the resulting snap is huge, and times out when being uploaded. So it will likely have to wait until the new year when everyone is back from holiday break and we can sort this issue out.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your help! See you in the new year!

PS. Reply here when you’ve made the snap :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Have you done the snap upload yet?:slightly_smiling_face:

Sadly not. It’s failing to upload as it’s so large. I have filed a bug to track it.

1 Like

Ok. Just to confirm, would this would be available by the in-built 18.04 Appstore, or not?

Here you go: https://snapcraft.io/flightgear

snap install flightgear --edge

This does not contain the data files, because they’re huge, as I said. The store page details how to get the data files and where to put them. In the future I may create a simple script which auto-downloads the files to the right place, but for now, this works.

Let me know if it works for you.

1 Like