Fancom snap on 18.04: library problem? Abandonware?

I just installed this snap and get the following result when I try to run it.

hbarta@cypress:~$ cat /tmp/fancon
hbarta@cypress:~$ fancon
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First use: please run 'sudo fancon test && sudo fancon -lf', then configure fan profiles in /etc/fancon.conf
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Usage:
  fancon <command> [options]

Available commands (and options <default>):
-lf list-fans       Lists the UIDs of all fans
-ls list-sensors    List the UIDs of all temperature sensors
-wc write-config    Writes missing fan UIDs to /etc/fancon.conf
test                Tests the fan characteristic of all fans, required for usage of RPM in /etc/fancon.conf
  -r retries 4      Number of retries a test does before failure, increase if you think a failing fan can pass!
start               Starts the fancon daemon
  -f fork           Forks off the parent process
  -t threads        Ignores "threads=" in /etc/fancon.conf and sets maximum number of threads to run
stop                Stops the fancon daemon
reload              Reloads the fancon daemon

Global options: 
  -d debug          Write debug level messages to log
  -q quiet          Only write error level messages to log
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
hbarta@cypress:~$ fancon -lf
First use: please run 'sudo fancon test && sudo fancon -lf', then configure fan profiles in /etc/fancon.conf

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
hbarta@cypress:~$ sudo -s
[sudo] password for hbarta: 
root@cypress:~# fancon test

/snap/fancon/11/bin/fancon: error while loading shared libraries: /snap/fancon/11/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_log.so.1.61.0: shared object not open
root@cypress:~# 

I created an issue at Github about this https://github.com/hbriese/fancon/issues/5 but since the most recent commit is July 2017 and the snap was last updated March 2017, I’m not sure it will be addressed. I’m also not sure if the issue is with the program itself or the snap packaging.

At present this is not a big issue for me. I just installed thinkfan and that seems to be doing a better job than whatever was doing it before.

It seems that the good folk at snapcraft would want to know about this and perhaps solicit a fix or remove the package.

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s not working for me on 18.04 on an Acer Aspire 5920G. When I run ‘sudo fancon test’ as prompted, I get an error:

/snap/fancon/11/bin/fancon: error while loading shared libraries: /snap/fancon/11/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_log.so.1.61.0: shared object not open

Is it working for anybody?