Failing Raspberry Pi 3 config; WLAN disappears

Hello! First post. New to snaps.

I’m going through the RPI3 Getting Started and after I “Press enter to configure” and after I set up my Wi-Fi access point and click “Done”, it begins “Applying network config”, stops at 66%, apparently loses wlan0 (it disappears from the screen), and reports “brcmf_cfg80211_reg_notifier: not a ISO3166 code”.

The access point is running a fairly recent DD-WRT and it’s been working well for Macs, iOS, Android, and various media devices.

I’m trying to connect it to a 2.4GHz mixed mode AP on channel 6. (I set it to channel 6 after some Googling on this problem suggested that might help. No joy.)

I also saw some comments concerning possible under-powering of the RPI3, but I’m using the same set-up I have otherwise, and I did also grab a second USB power block to try that, too.

Any thoughts?

I did find some references to disabling power management as a possible fix. I’m open to that, but was really trying to go straight demo and keep it simple.

Looks like you are hitting bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1632387 or https://bugs.launchpad.net/snappy/+bug/1632388 (i guess we should merge them)

Using a wired network during setup, rebooting, then ssh’ing into the board and runnig “sudo console-conf” to set up the wlan woks fine btw. This is only broken on the first setup screen, wifi is rock solid beyond this.

Thanks very much! I added my info above to that bug report. Now I just have to get an HDMI screen in the same room as I have Ethernet. :slight_smile:

Just an update to confirm that trying wired and then running sudo console-conf did indeed work perfectly. Thanks!

1 Like

This is actually fixed with netplan 0.23~16.04.1

…which is in the core snap in the edge channel (so all daily image builds already have it)

(actually turned out to be Bug 1696162)

Cool… I’ll probably get a chance to test this out soon as I’m hoping to try and work on this project I’ve had on my mind for a while.