Failed to build a snap (command is not executable)

Hi all,

I’m trying to build a snap of a small project I’ve been working on with some friends, a python app hosted on github. I have a python file called run, in a directory called bin, which is what I would like to expose to the system. The issue is that snapcraft exits with the error Failed to generate snap metadata: The specified command 'bin/run' defined in the app 'pyplane' is not executable.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, so any help would be much appreciated.

The project is hosted at https://github.com/m-squared96/PyPLANE.

This is my snapcraft.yaml:

name: pyplane
summary: PyPLANE
description: 
  An open source replacement to the traditional DFIELD and PPLANE applications for solving systems of ODEs
base: core18
version: "git"

parts:
  pyplane:
    source: .
    source-branch: snap_testing
    plugin: python
    python-version: "python3"
    python-packages:
      - numpy
      - sympy
      - scipy
      - matplotlib
      - pyqt5

apps:
  pyplane:
    command: bin/run

confinement: strict

and bin/run:

#!/usr/bin/env python3

import sys
from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QApplication
from PyPLANE.ui_main_window import MainWindow

app = QApplication(sys.argv)
app_main_window = MainWindow()
sys.exit(app.exec())

Steps I take building the snap from scratch

• Clone the repo
  • git checkout snap_testing (The branch I’m using to try and build the snap)
  • run snapcraft

There’s a few issues here.

- libxcb.so.1
- libxkbcommon-x11.so.0
- libxkbcommon.so.0
These dependencies can be satisfied via additional parts or content sharing. Consider validating configured filesets if this dependency was built.
'grade' property not specified: defaulting to 'stable'.
The command 'bin/run' was not found in the prime directory, it has been changed to 'bin/run'.
Failed to generate snap metadata: The specified command 'bin/run' defined in the app 'pyplane' is not executable.
Run the same command again with --debug to shell into the environment if you wish to introspect this failure.

The bin/run isn’t being staged - note the line above the . Where does it come from? How are you including it in the snap.
There is an error above the one you mention about bin/run not actually being in the snap.
Also, there’s a bunch of stage-packages listed in the snapcraft output, which need staging for a graphical application to work.
Finally you may need to use the desktop-qt5 launcher.

Thanks for the tips. After reading your response and looking at some examples I found out that I need to list bin/run under scripts in setup.py. The snap builds, but as you pointed out there’s other issues. I should be able to figure those out though. Thanks for your help.

1 Like