Explanation Ubuntu Core AMD64 image

Have you installed any special keys for secure boot onto the bios of the machine?

Also when you flash the ubuntu core image onto the hard drive after booting from the live ubuntu image on the flash drive, can you try hitting escape repeatedly right after powering the machine on? You should get a grub screen with this with some menu entries, if you could show us those menu entries (or report that you can’t get this to work) that may also be helpful

What kind of system is this, I mean the motherboard and the BIOS?

I recollect that the EFI spec was a bit vague about loading EFI/boot/bootx64.efi, which was reserved for removable media (eg. USB flash drive). Some EFI implementations could be picky and do just that, while most I’ve interacted with would happy load that file from whatever location, even a non removable disk. @xnox do you recall anything like that?

The BIOS says:

Aptio Setup UIitility
V 2.16.1242, 2013, American Megatrends, Inc.

UEFI Version: MPOS-K1900AS L1.31D
Processor Type: Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU J1900 @ 1.99GHz

Not Sure about the motherboard, but the computer is a POSLAB Wavepos 68, its a touchscreen all in one computer.

I bought a harddrive dock, so I could use start disk creator on the harddrive like what I did with the flash stick, but I got the same result as DD, black screen with solid prompt about 5 rows down and 10 columns in.

If I try build my own .img on the computer I intend to deploy to (as opposed to a dev laptop), does that make any difference in improving the chance it will run? At the moment I have been using the official Ubuntu Core AMD64 image , but gooing to try make my own.

I don’t know if this is progress, but I reverted the UEFI BIOS settings to default (having tried to get lucky with various permutations), and now I get something a little more telling:

So this the settings it reverts to (None UEFI), so the below is understandable:

It first says: No such device ubuntu boot then shows this error:

Press any key and it takes you to:

At GNU GRUB:
If I chose Recover using 20210118, it says: eror: invalid signature
If I chose Install using 20210118, it says: eror: invalid signature
If I chose UEFI Firmware settings, it says: error: Can't find comand 'fwsetup'

Now I change the BIOS from default to use UEFI:

And then this is al it taunts you with:

Is there anyway I can isolate and confirm whether this is the case?

Are there any recommended BIOS settings guide for installing Core20? Secure boot, TPM?