Error installing musescore on ChromeOS

I thought he was asking whether the flatpak version would do that.

Huh, in either case it kind of sucks. But I don’t even know enough to know how to UNinstall that one, to try to install the snap. Plus which, I’m kind of walking on eggshells in this conversation, I keep getting posts flagged and removed, which isn’t making me want to switch to the snap version. You guys are great and helpful, but what is up with all the flagging of posts?

Will do some research into this Crostini. Stick with it and don’t worry. The flagging is likely just so common search criteria can be parameterised (you might spell that with a ‘z’ instead of an ‘s’ depending on your part of the world) to a known set of relative strings to more easily identify issues and assist. Learning quirks and behaviours of new forums can be frustrating early on but things soon smooth themselves out.

Ok so I see Crostini is a VM. Can you please try install another SNAP and post the installation success / failure output here ?

What’s a VM?

OK, so my first attempt: “Imagenes”, because I just got a new camera and I use Google Photos… I got back “snap not found.” Let me think what else I might want to download, or can you suggest something small and simple to use as a test?

And my second: “laidout” desktop publishing … but there’s no description, and the developer’s website is down, so I’ll skip it. No, wait, that belongs to ogra, who’s been helping out on this thread! Ogra, I’m getting " www.laidout.org ’s server IP address could not be found."

And the third, same error as with “Imagenes”, this one is “Google Play Music Desktop Player”. I tried those two from the command line, “sudo snap install appname

VM is a virtual machine or loosely speaking something providing containerisation. It provides a solution for running applications built for other OS’s by allowing for different operating systems to run inside the host OS installed on the computer - in your case Chrome OS 80 as host and as your info above Debian Buster in the container.

So for my part in any troubleshooting things I am thinking about at the moment:

1. Why SNAPS aren’t installing on Debian Buster
  2. Is there potentially a problem with the container network bridging between Chrome OS and Debian Buster that needs to be sorted.

Maybe try sudo snap install atom

thanks for the hint, seems they switched their website to a https:// url, i fixed that in the package description…

Yep works https://laidout.org/ - not resolving with www…

Same problem: I type

sudo snap install laidout

and I get

error: cannot install “laidout”: snap not found

whats the full output of snap version … also try a more simple snap like htop …

I just tried “hello-world”, and got the same original error:

full output of snap version:

aha, that looks similar to

do you have the ability to run a debian 10 instead of debian 9 inside your VM ?

do you have the ability to run a debian 10 instead of debian 9 inside your VM ?

I have no idea… Debian 10 is Buster? and 9 is Stretch? I understood that Chrome OS 80, which I just got upgraded to, included that upgrade along with it.

as far as I can tell, I could upgrade to debian 10 but maybe only in dev channel, not even beta – it seems they pushed it back to Chrome OS 81.

It wouldn’t automatically update container contents.

This looks simple enough if you are brave enough !.. nothing relative to Chrome OS … just a standard set of Debian upgrade scripts…Download it.

https://gitlab.com/ppulfer-random-stuff/debian-buster-in-crostini/blob/master/upgrade_container.sh

From within Debian, open a terminal and type: cd /home/felicity/Downloads [enter] (or if not Downloads, then correct folder)

dir [enter] - this will list the contents of the directory - make sure it is there.

Then type: chmod +x upgrade_container.sh [enter]

Then type ./upgrade_container.sh [enter]

Grab a coffee and cake and wait for the upgrade to complete.

I’m thinking the first thing I’m going to do is disable Linux(beta) in my Chromebook settings, then re-enable it, to see if it’s the new version. It might take all day, I seem to remember grabbing a coffee and … well, not cake, it is Lent … and waiting a few hours, when I first enabled Linux.

That link you posted is from before Chrome OS v80 was released … I’ll come back to it if removing and re-starting Linux doesn’t work. They SAID Buster would be default in 80, now I’m not so sure.

That link shows a standard Debian distro upgrade routine that has been in place for multiple Debian upgrades starting from the first version. The reference to the Chrome version has been placed by the author for convenience, it is not in anyway authoritative with respect to how a Debian distro is upgraded. Never the less, it is important to err on the side of caution.

OK, good, thanks. I don’t remember though if I re-installed the Linux VM after the upgrade to Chrome OS 80, which was supposed to have Buster by default. It may have gotten pushed back to v81, but it’s hard to tell – plus there are “Chrome OS” for Android, probably Windows and Apple, as well as Chromebook, and they all have their own releases. I think. This is still all quite mysterious to me.

So if the new installation doesn’t show up with Buster, I’ll follow your link. Thanks again.