End User; Modify environment for run-time (Skype)

Hi there, I imagine that if you have played with Skype for Linux you are probably painfully aware that the software has always been a little inept as far as web cams go.

How I loved finding the ld_preload= solution way back when, this became more complex (to me, at least) to apply when MS updated Skype to use a nohup start method and from where I am sitting now I am having serious doubts that it is even possible in a ‘published’ snap - if I have read enough relevant stuff and formed the right opinion then it can only be done at the ‘source’ end of this arrangement.

Please forgive me if you feel I have not tried hard enough in my research to this point, please link to information that proves my current opinion wrong if that isn’t too much of a challenge for you. I love being proved wrong when I find my opinion poorer than I was aiming for :slight_smile:

Thanks very much.

Perhaps I should ask a different question: Can anyone tell me how Skype can possibly access anything at all on a system without using any of the interfaces? On my way to making the above post I read somewhat about them and foolishly assumed Skype would be using them and kept pursuing the idea that I just needed to get ld_preload to work inside the environment the snap is deploying but having found something that suggested to me that perhaps I merely needed to attach skype:camera to :camera and then trying it I have issued the ‘snap interfaces’ command (as I should have in when I read about them) and the output suggests that Skype is not using any of them at all. Not with it running, nor with it stopped - tho I have the impression “interfaces” shows connections regardless of whether in use at the moment.

If this thread is ignored, or anyone agrees that I should abandon this post and start a new one pursuing this line of enquiry, then I will.

@robsoles - the skype snap (currently) uses ‘confinement: classic’ and therefore does not ‘plugs’ anything; it already has access to everything.

I am not a regular skype user and don’t know anything about the ‘ld_preload= solution’. While I won’t be the one addressing your issue, I will say that you might get more help if you state your problem more clearly (eg, “My webcam doesn’t work with the skype snap. When using skype as a deb it didn’t either but I could work around it by setting LD_PRELOAD=… How can I do this with the skype snap?” or something similar that clearly describes your problem).

1 Like

I might use your suggestion verbatim @jdstrand :smiley:

The first sentence (of suggestion) will probably be the title, if I cannot become more satisfied with anything I think of while I try for a little while before posting again. Thank you.