Empty dropdown menus

on my laptop: Ryzen 4650U, Wayland, Fedora 36 beta

if I change monitor scaling to 200% (without fractional), the menu is no longer empty

Keep monitor scaling at 100%, change font scaling to 1.3, the menu is no longer empty.

Like @sebastianjacobs said: all apps that have problem are electron

1 Like

Interesting, some dropdowns work perfectly fine now with changed scaling options in Ubuntu or the electron snap itself. But other dropdowns that have worked before, donā€™t work with these changed options.

Iā€™m having the same issue on a HP Pavilion desktop with AMD Ryzen 7 5700G.

I first noticed the issue with Beekeeper Studio, mainly because it has so many of these menus. What I have found is that if I keep clicking on things and tell it to ā€œwaitā€ when the application is not responding, eventually, it will populate all of the menus and function normally.

I have also noticed the issue with slack (also electron,) mainly on the right-click menus, which I hardly ever use, so itā€™s not really a big deal.

$ snap version
snap    2.56.2
snapd   2.56.2
series  16
ubuntu  22.04
kernel  5.15.0-33-generic

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Release:	22.04
Codename:	jammy

$ uname -a
Linux compy386 5.15.0-33-generic #34-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 18 13:34:26 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ env | grep DESKTOP
GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated
DESKTOP_SESSION=ubuntu
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=ubuntu
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=ubuntu:GNOME

$ sudo lshw -c video
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Cezanne
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
       logical name: /dev/fb0
       version: c8
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix vga_controller bus_master cap_list fb
       configuration: depth=32 driver=amdgpu latency=0 resolution=2560,1440
       resources: irq:30 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e0000000-e01fffff ioport:f000(size=256) memory:fca00000-fca7ffff
1 Like

I followed the instructions here to unsquash beekeeper-studio and edit the snap.yaml to add a layout. AMD OSS graphics drivers missing access to amdgpu.ids file

I used the layout as described in this firefox bug. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1710326#c4

layout:
  /usr/share/libdrm:
    bind: $SNAP/gnome-platform/usr/share/libdrm

I am no longer getting the message about missing amdgpu.ids, but it did not change the behavior of the menus in the application.

Just tested it again with the newest Ubuntu version.

Looks like Canonical donā€™t care or they donā€™t know how to fix this. They are completely focused on the snaps they are publishing (Firefox and Steam). Meanwhile on a lot of systems third-party snaps (such as Bitwarden, Beekeeper Studio, Insomnia, Standard Notes, ā€¦) are broken.

why would a newer ubuntu version fix anything in the electron shipped in the snaps ?

it is obviously something thatā€™s going wrong between electron and amdgpu and likely only a re-build of the snaps against a fixed/newer electron (if that exists yet) would fix the issue here ā€¦

Is this a fact? There could also be something going wrong between snap and amdgpuā€¦

I mean it works on Flatpaks and Deb packagesā€¦

using the exact same electron versions as the snaps ?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/skype-desktop-879095-manjaro-linux-dropdown-menus/c6738905-b59e-4f80-9bc8-7c116c0504c3