Electronplayer snap acting strange in Lubuntu?

(FYI this is a copy from the Ubuntu forums)

This may appear to be a support question, but I’m hoping more that those intimately aware of the snap ecosystem might get some eyes on it and shed some light on what I’m missing.

There was a question on AskUbuntu on the Electron Player snap in Lubuntu. I managed to figure out the answer, but it’s strange that everything Just Works™ in Ubuntu 19.04, but does not in Lubuntu 19.04.

There were two issues:

1. The snap wouldn’t appear in the menu without upgrading snapd or sudo xdg-desktop-menu forceupdate. This was not necessary in Ubuntu, strangely. This is bizarre because Lubuntu/LXQt uses XDG specifications just like Ubuntu. /var/lib/snapd/desktop is indeed in $XDG_DATA_DIRS and the Desktop Entry is in /applications. That said, I’m left scratching my head.
  2. If the snap was already installed before upgrading snapd, it would not run correctly due to an error opening display :0. Removing it and reinstalling it fixed the problem, but maddeningly, the result has the same version and revision information. Perhaps this is a matter of reconfiguring? I’m not sure what the equivalent of dpkg-reconfigure is for snaps, but even still: what’s the relevant configuration problem?

There’s certainly a bug somewhere here, but I’m not sure if it’s with Lubuntu, LXQt, snapd, or what. Help me figure out where to file it :smile:

P.S. Just to eliminate the suggestion, I tried installing on the command line and not using Discover as the OP did and it made no difference.