Dual boot support; changing default directory from ~/snap

I want to use my programs(snaps) across multiple distributions, on the same device.
I have been googling for about half an hour, either I have missed something obvious, or hardly anyone else is particularly interested in this feature.

My current understanding(I could be totally wrong):
I have more than 1 Linux distribution on my computer, because snaps are stored in my (~)home folder, I would need to install the snap on my computer once for every distribution. This is of course inefficient for storage, more importantly annoying for config/extensions etc. It doesn’t take good use of the advantage that the cross-distribution nature of snaps offer.
I imagine the ability to set a different default for snaps to store these configs files could fix that. I could put all my snaps in a partition that all my distributions access, less space used and config is always wherever I am using that application.

Does this feature exist and I just coulnd’t find it ? Does it not exist and do others agree this is usefull ?

Thanks for reading,
Have a nice day,
Balder

snaps are usually stored in /var/lib/snapd and then loop mounted to /snap … what you have in ~/snap is only user data.

since snapd, its setup, available interfaces and features can widely vary by distributions i think sharing snaps between distros by mounting the respective dirs across multiple boots would be a bit tricky and require a bunch of code changes (others with better insight into the snapd code might be able to explain this more in detail)

1 Like

@Balder94 - Have you made any progress in the meantime?

Maybe you could do me a favor while testing to start a snap from different distros. I’m wondering if my ttimer snap will run under other architectures and with different distributions. So if you could use the ttimer for your tests it would be nice to get some feedback.

Many thanks in advance ~Juergen

==========================================
To download the ttimer use sudo snap install ttimer
or visit https://uappexplorer.com/snap/ubuntu/ttimer

If you need to transform it for an arch or distro you will find the files at: