Documentation drive

We’ve a whole ton of knowledge and experience in our collective heads which hasn’t made its way into the doc category yet. We should fix that. I think it’s about time we had a “Documentation Drive” here. This would be a day to kick off some core developer & community activity around creating better docs.

I’d envisage this being started with a post to the forum where we gather a list of documentation that doesn’t exist but probably should. A simple title of each page, and a tweet size synopsis of the documentation content. This should be a wiki post which people can update with their ideas. We can collectively prioritise them and people who want to get involved can mark their name next to a doc they will commit to writing.

The outcome of the day (probably days) would be a good start made on each doc allocated. They don’t need to be finished / polished, but a good effort made to start them. They would of course all become wiki posts, and anyone in the community can help tidy them up over the following days.

I’m all for a very lightweight process so people can get stuck in writing some docs that are missing without too much administrative burden. Just enough to make sure we’re focused on making the right docs, and people aren’t wasting time duplicating effort

What do you think?

7 Likes

I think this is a great idea. There is a lot of assumed knowledge (e.g. desktop helpers) floating about that we absolutely should nail down for the benefit of all.

1 Like

I concur - this is a great idea to surface some of the knowledge and learnings from the forum.

I’d be interested to see how many topics in the gathered list will be ‘beginner’ or ‘advanced’. Either way they should help inform some of the snapcraft.io messaging and onboarding too.

Ok, I see lots of likes and a couple of comments, that’s good enough for me! :slight_smile:

I’ll have started a wiki post which we can pull a list of docs we want to cover. So we can track the work that’s desired and status.