Desktop launcher only shows snaps not all installed apps

The above is a snap I am trying to create - it is a full-screen desktop launcher for wayland & X11.

Currently the installed snap only shows the icons for snaps installed rather than all applications installed i.e. only icons in /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/

I am using the desktop plug which I thought allows access to GMenu type objects (https://github.com/libredeb/lightpad/blob/master/src/DesktopEntries.vala#L27)

Any thoughts what else I could try to get the snap to show all applications installed (everything in /usr/share/applications) that a packaged version of the same project shows?

Your snap is currently in devmode. If it cannot see a file, then the likelihood is it is looking in the wrong place. Try looking in /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/path/to/host/files, for example /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/applications. Although being able to see that path when confined will be an entirely different matter. All together.

Hi,

I’m using Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 with a number of snaps installed - the folder /var/lib/snapd/hostfs is empty

I’ve tried also reworking the whole snap without using the gnome-3.28 extension - and running under strict - this time no apps are visible - GMenu isnt seeing anything outside the strict container.

Are you (or anyone else) aware of any current snaps that displays the contents of a user’s menu ? - perhaps looking at that snap’s yaml will help me here.

TIA

In general, you are going to have trouble getting a desktop launcher to run with strict confinement.

Snaps cannot normally launch other snaps or host system applications. You also don’t generally have knowledge of what other applications are installed on the system.

There is some (unfinished) work to provide an interface plus support infrastructure to implement something like this, but it would require the application to be built against the API:

https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/8699

At present, classic confinement is the only functioning alternative.

1 Like