Creation of new tracks for eProsima Vulcanexus

To whom it may concern,

We would like to request the creation of new tracks, named humble and iron for the following packages:

• vulcanexus-discovery-server
  • vulcanexus-micro-ros-agent
  • vulcanexus-monitor
  • vulcanexus-router
  • vulcanexus-shapes-demo

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi there,

Hello,

Per Process for aliases, auto-connections and tracks 2, we need a 1-week voting/discussion period, so I’ll check back on the discussion and votes in a few days.

I have three questions before casting my vote.

1. What’s your snap’s release cadence, how often is a new major version (potentially requiring a new track) released? is this documented somewhere by upstream?
  2. Is there some commitment from upstream on maintenance of old versions? e.g. is the “g” release still supported with security updates? will it continue to be supported now that humble and iron are out, and for how long?
  3. Are new versions backwards-incompatible? meaning, if I was running humble and try to install iron, will that just work, or do I need to migrate my data/configuration, or will things break horribly?

Thanks!

• Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for reaching out and your interest. You can find here the answers to your questions:

1. The release of new tracks will be aligned with the major releases of ROS 2. This means that there will be a new Vulcanexus track for each Vulcanexus snap when a new version of ROS 2 is released, which takes place once a year around April-May (as it’s happening now with ROS 2 Iron).
    1. We follow the same lifecycle than ROS 2, so when a ROS 2 distribution is end of life ours will be as well. We will follow this calendar (ROS 2 calendar): https://docs.ros.org/en/rolling/Releases.html. This means that we’re committed to support Vulcanexus Humble until May 2027 and Vulcanexus Iron until November 2024.
    1. Backwards compatibility between tracks cannot be guaranteed, as ROS 2 doesn’t guarantee it. So even if the user data does not change and DDS is compatible, things like discovery, native headers, etc. that do break compatibility can change in ROS 2. That way, Vulcanexus will have the same backwards compatibility as ROS 2.

Hope these answers are helpful, but if you have any other questions or need more info do not hesitate to let us know, we’ll be happy to help

:slight_smile: Thanks!

Thanks for the responses! +1 for me on using tracks for these snaps.

• Daniel
1 Like

I’ve created all the tracks.

Thanks!

• Daniel

Hi community,

We would like to request the creation of new tracks, named humble and iron for the following packages:

• vulcanexus-ddsrecordreplay
  • vulcanexus-fastddsspy

Thank you for your help!

Hi,

The new tracks have successfully been created.

Thanks,

Odysseus