Core20 Development Timeline

Hey,

A couple of questions on the core20 snap.

1. Will it exist? The pattern that I think I see emerging is that base snaps are only being created for Ubuntu LTS releases. If so, then core20 is up next.
  2. If it will be created, what’s the timeline we’re working with? With that question, I’m specifically curious as to if it will be created sometime after Ubuntu 20.04 is released or if there will be an edge channel version of the snap that follows along with the LTS’s development along the 6 month cycle.

Thanks.

1 Like

$ snap info core20 name: core20 summary: Runtime environment based on Ubuntu 20.04 publisher: Canonical✓ license: unset description: | The base snap based on the Ubuntu 20.04 release. type: base snap-id: DLqre5XGLbDqg9jPtiAhRRjDuPVa5X1q channels: stable: –
candidate: –
beta: –
edge: 20 2019-10-12 (47) 59MB -

Already there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Huh, not sure how I missed that. Thanks for showing me that @slangasek.

So that answers my first question. Considering the snap existed even before 19.10 released, I think the second question still stands.

1. Yes that is the pattern, also they coincide potentially with new/interesting major features of Ubuntu Core. Though given the nature of snapd releases themselves, some of those will also be available to older versions.

2. What is on core20 edge right now is based on Eoan, it will switch to 20.04 bits as soon as possible. For higher stability it will need to contains bits closer to final 20.04, and also support making UC images with it.

1 Like