Core18 issues

As an experiment I’ve rebuilt the libreoffice snap against core18 in a bionic container. I’ve had to update a few stage packages for the built to complete, and it eventually did. When I install the resulting snap and launch it, the app starts, but I’m seeing the following on the terminal:

2018/05/01 09:14:38.423440 main.go:168: cannot change mount namespace of snap "libreoffice" according to change mount (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/local/share/fonts /usr/local/share/fonts none bind,ro 0 0): cannot create writable mimic over "/usr": cannot create path "/tmp/.snap/usr": cannot mkdir path segment ".snap": permission denied

and

/usr/bin/env: 'python3': No such file or directory

Are those known issues? Is the first one harmless perhaps?
It looks like the python3 executable is not part of core18, should I explicitly add it to the snap?

@oSoMoN - are there apparmor denials for the mount namespace issue?

As for python3, core18 is a lot leaner now, so yes, you must stage. @mvo5 could comment on if python3 is intended to be omitted (I would think with something as big as python3, that was an active decision).

Hi @oSoMoN - python3 is available inside core18, you can test this using:

$ sudo snap install test-snapd-tools-core18
$ test-snapd-tools-core18.sh python3
Launching a shell inside the default app confinement. Navigate to your
app-specific directories with:

$ cd $SNAP
  $ cd $SNAP_DATA
  $ cd $SNAP_USER_DATA

bash-4.4$ python3
Python 3.6.7 (default, Oct 22 2018, 11:32:17) 
[GCC 8.2.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>

Maybe something with the snapcraft.yaml that prevents this from working?

My initial experiment was 6 months ago, I suppose core18 wasn’t really ready at the time. I will rebuild, test and report back here as soon as I get a chance.

I successfully rebuilt the libreoffice snap against core18, and so far everything appears to work as expected.

3 Likes