Confusing error message when base is not available

I was experimenting with enabling a new base in snapcraft to be used with build-base and ran into some confusing error messages:

(snapcraft) ubuntu@snapcraft-dev:~/simple$ sudo snap install simple_0.1_amd64.snap  --dangerous --devmode
Ensure prerequisites for "simple" are available                                                                                         |error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Ensure prerequisites for "simple" are available (no snap revision available as specified)
(snapcraft) ubuntu@snapcraft-dev:~/simple$ sudo snap install simple_0.1_amd64.snap  --dangerous --devmode
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Ensure prerequisites for "simple" are available (no snap revision available as specified)
(snapcraft) ubuntu@snapcraft-dev:~/simple$ sudo snap install bare --edge
bare (edge) 1.0 from Canonicalâś“ installed
simple 0.1 installed

So if the base is not on stable, we get no snap revision available as specified, this is clearly not related to the snap I am installing as there is no revision (that’s the reason for --dangerous), can the prerequisite be clarified?

Question 2, why is bare not on the stable channel? Or what remains to be done for it to get there?

Yes, that error needs to improve.

About the “bare” base, there is agreement that we should support it and have it reach stable. Nobody had yet time to work on that. Also there was a bug in snapd that would prevent using almost empty bases anyway but that was fixed on master at least.

1 Like
  1. “bare” is now in stable
  2. Regarding the errors, I opened:

https://github.com/snapcore/snapd/pull/7528

2.43 will have the improved error messages.

1 Like