What we do now
We currently are using a YOCTO built version of Linux for Raspberry Pi 3. This allows us to:
- Write a custom configuration file to the boot partition on the sd card from Windows. This contains information such as how to reach servers and identification keys.
- Our embedded application is able to see this file and uses it on launch. This doesn’t require any on-device (keyboard / monitor) to be connected to the device.
What we want to do
How do we do this with Ubuntu Core?
- We distribute thousands of these devices a year. It’s not practical to manually enter this information via keyboard.
What we’ve looked at
- There appears to be a Serial Assertion, but this seems to be a way to identify our device to the Ubuntu / brand store.
pepare-device hook - this seems related to what we need, but it’s not obvious how we can incorporate this into our workflow.
– does this hook allow for any user input?
– how do we run this with device specific values?
– Is the “device service” a custom service or is this the api defined somewhere?